Christopher Moore
United States
Duncan Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a web comic a few months ago by Shamus Young that I just thought was brilliant. This may be old news to many of you, but it's well worth checking out if you've never seen it. If you enjoy role-playing or "The Lord of the Rings," you will appreciate this. If you enjoy both, you may laugh until you cry.

The conceit is that "The Lord of the Rings" never existed as such, except as an incredibly detailed setting by an enterprising Dungeon Master. The Dungeon Master runs his gaming group through it, and the amusingly predictable results are displayed using screenshots from the movies.

The tale starts here:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you like that, you'll like the similar (and still ongoing) Darths & Droids, which is a tribute to it, using Star Wars instead of LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOW I remember why I stopped playing RPGs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Both that, and 'Darths and Droids' are AWESOME.

Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Lauricella
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Darth & Driods is fun, but misses some of what I found charming about "DM of the Rings". Specifically, DMoTR poked fun not only at the movie, but at some of the more silly rules and items in D&D. Throw into that a good bit of humor about a railroading GM and uncooperative players and he hit on a really hilarious webcomic. (For example, the whole bit about the GM trying to force them to rest ON Weathertop was classic.)

Don't get me wrong, I like Darths & Droids, but it seems the focus there is much more on telling a story while still poking a bit of fun at the movie. There's less poking fun at the game system. It's hard to quantify exactly, but it has a little less of the charm that DMoTR captured so well.

--TMIB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the funniest thing I have read in ages. Thankyou so much for posting it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
No.
Not very nice at all,
my love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally hoot-worthy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.