Subject: I'm giving up BGG for Lent... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to give up BGG for Lent this year. I hope you all enjoy the extra bandwidth while I'm gone. See you all at Easter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What have you done to deserve that punishment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
*DEEP BREATH*...Smell that sweet open bandwidth. Elbow room, that's the key to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
I've decided to give up BGG for Lent this year. I hope you all enjoy the extra bandwidth while I'm gone. See you all at Easter!

Didn't you give it up for Lent last year as well or was that someone else?

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be joining you, and for anyone else interested, I've started a geeklist to this effect, and at the end of the tunnel we'll see how many have held out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give up BGG for Lent?

I should, I really should...

...but I can't!

There's always alcoholic beverages...

...not that either.

I know, I'll be nice to everybody!

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
The Unbeliever wrote:

Didn't you give it up for Lent last year as well or was that someone else?

Good Luck!

It was possibly me, as I did it last year, and will do it again this year as well (but to stick this under "religion, sex & politics" has a nice touch of irony). Oh, well. You won't have Severus Snape to kick around for forty days, so you will have to go without the goo, the black and green goo, that is. And remember: don't make me get out my red pen!

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:

This would have been less ironic if not for your username!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew a guy a long time ago ( a devout Catholic) who always gave up smoking pot for Lent. I could never figure that one out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:

It was possibly me, as I did it last year, and will do it again this year as well (but to stick this under "religion, sex & politics" has a nice touch of irony).

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what strikes you as ironic about it?

(And if you aren't back in time, have a peaceful season and we'll see you Palm Sunday.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

It was possibly me, as I did it last year, and will do it again this year as well (but to stick this under "religion, sex & politics" has a nice touch of irony).

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what strikes you as ironic about it?

(And if you aren't back in time, have a peaceful season and we'll see you Palm Sunday.)

It is the idea of sticking religion with sex and politics that I find twisted. This is not a complaint on my part, though it would be helpful if each had its own distinct forum for discussion.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

Irony? It's ridiculous. Unless this is intended to be a serious discussion of the Lenten season, I see no reason to stick it in the "Hot Topic" forum. Geez . . . shake

As to how or why this found its way into the "hot topic" forum, I cannot say, though I would imagine there might be a few who have a serious interest in discussion the Lenten season. Perhaps you would like to begin, Drew.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
It is the idea of sticking religion with sex and politics that I find twisted. This is not a complaint on my part, though it would be helpful if each had its own distinct forum for discussion.

RSP == Stuff that people have strong opinions about. I think Sex is the odd one out, but that doesn't really matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It never made sense to me to give up something that's not either an indulgence or a vice for Lent. Maybe BGG is an indulgence? I would like to think that other people find my ideas and writing useful, though, and that I bring ideas of games here back to my gaming groups, which enjoy them.

A few years ago one of my friends toyed with the idea of giving up sex for Lent. His girlfriend was displeased. Luckily we talked him out of it; the idea of sacrifice is to forgo something of your own, not something that others enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today was Fat Tuesday a day early...I indulged myself with a fresh copy of Arkadia.

No new games until Easter!

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm giving up Lent for Lent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about giving up Catholicism for Lent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnaltax wrote:
It never made sense to me to give up something that's not either an indulgence or a vice for Lent. Maybe BGG is an indulgence?

Actually, lots of people give up things they enjoy doing simply as an act of doing without something to better remember the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert when he went without.

A sacrifice of what you enjoy doing can be hard because things you enjoy are not always negative things in your life.

Lots of children give up sweets during lent because they get rewarded with a Easter basket full of candy.

But you are correct, some people do give up something they "indulge" in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our previous pastor was a big advocate for adding something at Lent. She was very service minded, so she liked to add volunteer work or (if you're not already) Daily Bible study or increasing your prayer time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking what you wrote - in my CCD classes, the teachers would say to add something at Lent.

I personally find adding something to help me focus more on the Lenten season. I'm not against giving something up, as I have done that in previous years. It's a personal choice really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.