Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking about how Settlers is the only game I can think of offhand that is specifically meant for only 3 or 4 players. Most games seem to be 2-4 or 3-5 or some other configuration. I'm sure there are other 3-4 only games that I can't think of right now, and out of curiosity I'd be interested to know some of them. (Of course, I know that Settlers has some good 2 player variants and a 5-6 player expansion, but I'm referring only to the main regular game without any variants or expansions.)

While I'm at it, I'm also curious if there are any 3 player only or 4 player only games. Of course there are many 2 player only games, but are there games meant for higher numbers of players that are specific to a particular number? (Perhaps there's a way to search for these things on here? There probably is, as this site has an amazing array of abilities...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Primordial Soup comes to mind. Obviously, Starfarers of Catan is also 3-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Skat and Cosmic Eidex are 3-player only games, and there are many other trick-taking games designed for 4-players only. There are also a number of boardgames designed for 3-4 players, including Doge, Dschunke, and others that probably don't start with the letter D.

I think the advanced search options allow you to search by player numbers. I haven't checked to confirm this, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Four 3-4 player games that instantly spring to mind: Ys, Himalaya, Mordred, Brass.

The first two have expansions that add a player or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Basari is a 3-4 player game that comes to mind quickly. The Bridges of Shangri-La is another.

There are a number of games that say 2-4 that either really don't work with 2 or significantly change rules with 2 (almost as much as Settlers changes with any of the 2-player variants; players use 2 colors, or some kind of other significant rule change from the 3-4 player game, so that 2-player is more of a variant than part of the actual game). Those include Domaine/Löwenherz, King's Gate, Shear Panic, and Saga. These are technically not "3-4 player only," (I actually enjoy Shear Panic most with 2) but come awful close.

I've heard that The End of the Triumvirate is pretty much a 3-player only game, though it's listed as 2-3. As far as 4-player only games go, partnership card games come to mind; Tichu is listed as something like 3-8 because it has some variants in the rules, but is really a 4-player only game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medina

and

San Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I second San Marco, it is a great game.

Also, I think Arkadia is best played with 3 or 4 even though the box says 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meuterer plays 3 or 4 only. (Much better with 4, in my opinion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Dealer is for 3 or 4 only (unless you buy more than one set to expand it).

In the Shadow of the Emperor might as well be for 3 or 4 only - it's terrible with 2.

For 4 only:
Mah-Jongg
Bridge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates says 3-4 on the box (at least my Mayfair copy does), though everyone says it is fine with two.

Gang of Four is really a four player game, but the rules have a three player variant. No other numbers are supported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Friedrich is also a 3-4 player game.

In response to your question about 3-player-only or 4-player-only games; there aren't many which officially fit those categories, as I think many publishers consider it comercially damaging to advertise such a limitation.

However there are several titles which are considered to be so superior with just one number of players that they appear to have been designed that way, even if the marketing on the side of the box tells us differently.

Some of these (off the top of my head), have already been mentioned, such as Meuterer (4-player),and End of the Triumvirate (3-player).

There is also Queen's Necklace, which IIRC both the designer (Bruno Faidutti) and the publisher (Days of Wonder), admit is really a 3-player-only game, but DoW did not feel able to take the gamble and label it as such.

I'm sure there are more.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter the Hasbro Edition

Well you could have 2 player, but the game is simply a cardfest. A lot of powers don't work and negotiation as well as diplomacy is... not there.

3 players is a bit better, but 4 is where it is at. Can't do 5-6 unless you have a custom set and even then, cards might run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazonas
Bridges of Shangri-La

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warumono 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.