Leone Fenzi
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is Coming
mbmbmbmbmb
A Scenario.

Foreword. The Fellowship must be declared in Morannon/Minas Morgul to perform the final part of the Quest to Mount Doom. Quote directly from the Rulebook (§9, p. 18): It is mandatory that the Free Peoples player declares the Fellowship in either of these locations during a Fellowship Phase to begin the last part of the journey to Mount Doom.

Now: the following scenario may apply (it actually happened within our gaming group):
1. the FP Player has more than one “Sword”-icon at his disposal (e.g.: two) during the Action Resolution Step
2. the Fellowship is one region away from Morannon or Minas Morgul (or, which is equivalent, is X regions away from Morannon or Minas Morgul AND the Fellowship Track is marking “X – 1”)
3. the FP Player uses one “Sword” to advance the Fellowship, which then actually enters Morannon/Minas Morgul (even if it enters Mordor “hidden”)

The question is: after point 3. above, the FP Player shall declare the Fellowship to obey the abovementioned rule (§9, p. 18) but he can do it only in the following Game Turn (during the Fellowship Phase), so: what happens to the other(s) “Sword(s)” (see point 1. above)? Can the FP player still advance the Fellowship in the same turn and then reveal it in the following turn “one step ahead” (i.e. directly on the Mount Doom track)? Or are the other(s) “Sword(s)” somehow “wasted” (i.e. they cannot be used to advance the Fellowship in that very turn)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give my view, hopefully others will correct me if needed.

Any "extra" movement on the Fellowship Track is indeed "wasted", i.e. it is never possible to start "one step ahead" when declaring in Mordor. However, it still might be a good idea to make the "extra" movement on the Fellowship Track, due to the so called "turn stall" cards such as Cruel Weather, which can push the Fellowship one space away from Mordor.

Note that, if you play with the Expansion, you'll see that Smeagol allows the Free Peoples to declare the Fellowship in Mordor during an Action Resolution step, so that is another twist on the situation.

Other than that, of course, "extra" Swords can be used to move Characters, etc., i.e. other actions besides moving the Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could continue to use the Character Action Die (the Sword) to move the fellowship track past the point you needed for entry into mordor, but it would be a waste of time to do so, as you would still have to declare in one of the 2 entry regions and lose any extra movement. You may only declare during the fellowship phase (or if you are using Smeagol from the expansion, you can actually declare during your turn).

The Character action die would not be wasted, however, as it can be used for a number of other things (such as moving companions, moving armies with leaders/companions, playing event cards with the sword symbol.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they are likely wasted. You could move to avoid a turn staller like Cruel Weather. However you risk being revealed during that second move. And if you didn't have a way to hide, you couldn't declare your next turn. If you did have a way to hide, you'll have reveal in Morannon and take an extra hunt tile. Probably not worth the risk unless you are pretty sure SP has Cruel Weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
There's another reason to make the extra move: you might be lucky and get revealed. Sure, you eat two tiles and have to hide, but that's small price to pay for dodging both Nazgul Search and Cruel Weather. Both those cards can stall only if the FSP is at step 1+ on the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
There's another reason to make the extra move: you might be lucky and get revealed. Sure, you eat two tiles and have to hide, but that's small price to pay for dodging both Nazgul Search and Cruel Weather. Both those cards can stall only if the FSP is at step 1+ on the track.

I'm not sure I see the benefit to the FP player you're trying to capture here. Since the Fellowship track will be at 1+ (unless the Fellowship moved, was found and revealed, and placed the Fellowship in Minas Morgul or Morannon), the moment the Fellowship moves, the cards are playable.

How does it help you to expose the Fellowship to greater risk (the Hunt) with a bonus on the hunt roll if you're about to make it to Mordor? You won't dodge the cards - they'll still take effect and the Fellowship marker will end up in one of the two provinces named so you can move to the Mount Doom track during the Fellowship phase of the following turn. Being revealed won't put you there out of sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leone Fenzi
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is Coming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the answers, those ones cleared my doubts...

(and yes, when I said "wasted" I actually meant "wasted for the purpose of advancing the Fellowship": those Swords may have some other interesting use... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:

That's a good point. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.