Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the publisher:

"Expansion #3: The Roman Civil Wars will provide all the gray and red blocks and stickers needed to field two full opposing Roman armies when combined with the gray Republican Roman army from Commands & Colors: Ancients, and the red Marian Roman army from Expansion #2: Rome and the Barbarians"

I don't get it

1) Does this exp just provide extra blocks to be combined with CCA and Exp #2? Why not just use the blocks from those games alone and add a few scenarios - why an extra exp?

2) Do you need Exp #2 to play Exp #3 or can Exp 3 be used with the base game alone - so I don't have to spend more on Exp#2 - which is more expensive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coxy_fc wrote:
1) Does this exp just provide extra blocks to be combined with CCA and Exp #2? Why not just use the blocks from those games alone and add a few scenarios - why an extra exp?

Because this way makes more money? They're welcome to mine if it means more C&C:A... Also, the extra blocks mean BIGGER scenarios - epically big. And that's the bit you don't mention - the combined boards from 2 & 3 allow the Epic scenarios to be played.
Quote:
2) Do you need Exp #2 to play Exp #3 or can Exp 3 be used with the base game alone - so I don't have to spend more on Exp#2 - which is more expensive!

If all you want is the board, 3 can be used with the base game. It's the cheapest way to get a mounted board. Other than that, no. You need 2 to use 3 in any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok thanks - you just saved me from purchasing exp 3 by itself - guess I might pick both exp up in the next sales

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might make sense to get Expansion #2 without getting #3 (although I doubt it) but there's no reason at all to get #3 alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt DeHayes
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am the proud owner of Command & Colors: Ancients and have been looking forward to getting the expansions for this game as well. This thread brought me concern after my girlfriend bought me a copy of expansion 3 as I don't have any of the other expansions. Previous posts make it appear that expansion 3 is completely useless without expansion 2 as expansion 3 is only an epic battles expansion. I'd like to clarify that here for anyone else who finds themselves in my situation.

Expansion 3 comes with:

- bag of grey and red blocks to make two more armies (120 blocks)
- two block label sheets (which we all love to apply!)
- mounted board (great to have but also released in previous expansions)
- two double-sided, fold-out cards showing four epic scenarios
- two double-sided, fold-out, updated referrence cards
- epic rules showing how to play in epic format (six pages)
- rule book containing specifics for this expansion only and 19 scenarios
- strange signed letter from GMT games stating that game is hand-packed and complete

Based on that, I feel that this expansion is completely playable for someone in my situation. My main enjoyment of the game has been from the regular scenarios and this one has a bunch! I'm not sure about being able to play the epic scenarios without another expansion as I haven't played them yet but if you're really interested in epic scenarios, I'm sure there'll be a lot of them in expansion 5.

Of course, please feel free to correct me or add additional comments if anyone feels that I've left anything out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to rain on your parade (especially since it was a girlfriend gift) but "completely playable" just does not connect. It is true that Expansion 3 is not "only an Epic expansion" but it is of little value if the only other thing you have is the base game.

You can't play Epic without a 2nd mounted board.

You don't really have blocks "to make two more armies."

You can add troops to your gray roman army, but the most pressing need for the additional troops is for Roman Civil War battles...against the red roman army that you don't have.

There are many good scenarios in X3, but most (maybe all-- I haven't looked lately) are either RCW battles (against the red roman army) or some additional barbarian battles that they didn't have room to put into X2. Those battles use the green army that is in X2 and mostly use the red army too, altho you might be able to cover that with the gray army.

Can you cover the RCW or barbarian scenarios with Carthaginians vs Grey Romans? Maybe. I'd be concerned with having enough Warrior infantry for the barbarian scenarios and medium infantry for the red roman.

Solve all this by getting Expansion 2 and then you really will have much to work with. (And, by the way, Exp 2 is the only other place to get a mounted board, unless you buy it direct.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

I've found this thread very informative.

Can someone please briefly tell me what comes in each box and the dependencies for all 5 expansions?

Thanks very much,

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt DeHayes
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, that's fine. Please weigh in.

Initially I was confused about your red Roman army comments as half of the blocks in this set are for the red Roman army but then I realized that there are only 60 which is definately not enough to field a good-sized army. This confusion was mostly because I haven't played any of the scenarios yet. After further review I also found this paragraph near the beginning of the rules:

"You will need the Commands & Colors: Ancients core game, pluse Command & Colors Ancient Expansion #2 in order to play the standard battles in this expansion. One battle uses blocks from Expansion #1, but other blocks may be used if this expansion is not available. You will need the Commands & Colors: Ancients core game, plus Commands and Colors Ancients Expansion #1 and #2 in order to play the epic battles in this expansion."

So, that makes complete sense to me now. It's too bad that expansion 3 isn't playable with just the core game but I can see why they did it this way. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
wargamer55 wrote:
It might make sense to get Expansion #2 without getting #3 (although I doubt it) but there's no reason at all to get #3 alone.

No offense however:
Reason 1: Mounted map
Reason 2: more blocks and Stickers. If you manage them well, you will have playable scenarios dobuled.
Reason 3: Epic battles. You can play at least 4 Epic battles with offical rules of substitution. And about 5 more if you make very limited effort to house rule the substitution a little bit.
Reason 4: only $20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.