Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PocketModel-like (but bigger; no base) plasticards, 6 per pack at Michael's craft stores, these are the two I bought (I was too lazy to reassemble all the dinos just for you guys):

The only defect was in the Commanche chopper: several side panels (not shown) didn't notch tightly enough to stay put without help. The rather detailed planes use some unusual tabs/edge-notches in addition to the usual "Nanu-Nanu" perpindicular slot-into-slot.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: 1$ packs of CardModel Planes, Dinos, Racecars, Motorcycl
johngorno wrote:
PocketModel-like (but bigger; no base) plasticards, 6 per pack at Michael's craft stores, these are the two I bought (I was too lazy to reassemble all the dinos just for you guys):

The only defect was in the Commanche chopper: several side panels (not shown) didn't notch tightly enough to stay put without help. The rather detailed planes (you can't see the undercarriages in this photo) use some unusual tabs/edge-notches in addition to the usual "Nanu-Nanu" perpindicular slot-into-slot.

Gorno

My kids absolutely love these things. Planes, dinos, there's also jungle animals. You guys who travel for your jobs -- having a couple of packs of these in your bag for when the five-year-old kid sits down next to you on the airplane can be priceless.

If anyone sees WWI airplanes let me know!

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet, I have to get some of them. What section of the store were they in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The kid's dollar bins are where I found them... where you find those probably varies from store to store, like most everything else there! If they made older planes, they'd be great for Wings of War, as I'm sure Sag is thinking. (I thought I was forgetting something, e.g., the Jungle Animals.)

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Michaels! Now I have a reason to go with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These were at Toys R Us, and I think Wishing Well locally, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Paschal
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, oddly enough I have seen these things too. I think they were at a hobby town in Charleston SC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also see them popping up in computer stores once in a while for 50 cents for 1 or 2 packs. I used to buy a bunch of them at CompUSA whenever they had that deal going and put them aside for Halloween. Handing out 1 card per small child in addition to the candy always gets the excited "Mom, mom, look what I got!" when the kid skips back to their mom.

PS: The one that sells out the fastest is usually the Marvel Heroes one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have some nice packs of dinosaurs, space ships, pirate ships, transformers and tropical fish (they used to have aircraft as well) at American Science and Surplus. Go to www.sciplus.com and search for Pocket Models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
My wife loves Michaels! Now I have a reason to go with her.

Michaels is a very dangerous Do-It-Yourself game store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the Marvel Heroes. Michael's also sells a pack of Bratz-style girl cards, but I didn't think that had any gaming application (Monsters Menace (the Mall of) America?)

The Michael's ones are called 3D Puzzle Card Models from Ja-Ru.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Michaels is a very dangerous Do-It-Yourself game store...
Thank goodness for the weekly "40% off one item" coupon in the circular!

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hart
England
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I get these in the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liberor13 wrote:
How do I get these in the UK?
I poked around Google for you and found: http://www.balloons.co.uk/shop/Party+Favours/Individual+Part...
If they have retail outlets, you can save the shipping (or buy in bulk) -- presumably other party supply stores probably have them if these guys do (I found links to "Party Box," including a neat but pricey aircraft carrier set http://www.partybox.co.uk/details.asp?product=4878).

here's another UK link including similar 3d models (the "Model - 3D Puzzle" items)
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/by-make/u/unbranded-jigs...

By the way, here is a page showing all the kits I saw at Michaels, plus another plane kit I haven't seen yet:
http://www.partyexpo.net/en/product.asp?vCategory=party+good...

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could customise these by printing and pasting (photo-paper) decals: pop out the bits, scan the silouettes on the sprue, copy the file, and draw in new decorations (or just scan and edit the bits). Removable double-sided tape would make the decals removable and preserve the card. To make bilateral symmetry easier to achieve, I'd undo the close-packed card layout, where opposite parts aren't in reverse positions: I'd cut, copy, and reverse one side to get the other (probably rotating it first to align with the axes of the paper to make easier to draw rectilinear features on the vehicles).

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hall
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got the set of planes. Really nice and done really well. Good detail and design on the planes, better than most. I've not seen the spaceships though. Those would be nice to get. I think the Dollar Tree I went to here in Ohio had those. Does the Ja-Ru Company have a website you can get them from? Anybody tried it? They'd be great for a dogfighting game.

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrocko wrote:
Does the Ja-Ru Company have a website you can get them from?
I didn't find one: I think they are one of a number of manufacturers, have changed their name to Focus, and probably only sell to wholesalers anyway. The www.sciplus.com models (including the rocketships) are a different style and, I'm guessing, from a different manufacturer, and are (obviously) available there. Googling 3d puzzle card without the Ja-Ru turns up more and different items. (I found some Ja-Ru bug and seacreatures sets, so we know they exist, although the listing is discontinued: http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=10103)
All the Ja Ru sets are available on eBay and Amazon; here's a listing for the other set of planes (under the Focus name): http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hart
England
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats really kind of you,thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now they (Michael's) have them in double-size! These are packs of four for a dollar. I saw airplanes, dinosaurs, and jungle animals, 5-7 inches long. Granted, at this size, for game purposes, one might just get as well get proper toys, but I thought I'd mention them. Even better than the originals as compact traveller's bribes (with parts that are easier to assemble and not drop under the seat).

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are really awesome, if they removed the cheesy camo/paint jobs they would be a perfect 10!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mike A wrote:
They have some nice packs of dinosaurs, space ships, pirate ships, transformers and tropical fish (they used to have aircraft as well) at American Science and Surplus. Go to www.sciplus.com and search for Pocket Models.
goo They HAVE: "Screeching Monkey Superhero"! with *flung*-POO 'fits'! devil

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/1

I ONLY 'got' the "planes" too... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gaarsoe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
They (Am. Sci & Surplus) seem to have sold out of the Spaceships and Dinosaurs; I saw these in Walmart at one point about three years ago.

Most of the Novelty Wholesalers have relatively modest opening order requirements, $50-$75; Less than the cost of many boardgames; Of course, once you have your gross (144) of High Bounce Balls ($7.50), what else do you order?

There was a novelty wholesaler in Okalahoma City (How many can there be?) last summer who had Ship Model (Mostly Junks- gray market stuff?) last summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
PocketModel-like (but bigger; no base) plasticards, 6 per pack at Michael's craft stores

Michael's eh? Thanks, I'll have to check there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
johngorno wrote:
PocketModel-like (but bigger; no base) plasticards, 6 per pack at Michael's craft stores

Michael's eh? Thanks, I'll have to check there.

Be careful if you're a D-I-Y gamer. I'd suggest taking a fixed amount of cash and leaving the credit cards at home. It's too easy to go overboard at that store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.