Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Night 2 of the Battletech Campaign went off this passed Thursday.

Joe was feeling ill and Chad got sidetracked by the real world, so it was just Burk and I. I kept going with my Davion Fox's Teeth company and Burk stepped in to play my opponent.

After last weeks successful Recon mission I opted to go on a Supply Run mission as I would receive a nice bonus from my previous mission. The successful recon would cause Burk to have a -2 penalty on his rolls when he rolled up my opposing forces, which would ensure they would be lighter mechs guarding the supplies. The mission required that I determine which 2 of the 4 building on the table would contain the supplies by scanning them from within 2 hexes. The mission cost me 75 WP to take, if I found the right buildings it would net me 100 WP, while eliminating all of the defenders would gain me a further 150 WP. I opted for a disadvantage that would gain me another 75 WP allowing Burk to put a mech as reserve.

We selected 2 maps that featured rolling hills with some forests that would prevent me from just marching straight at the target buildings. I was allowed to bring 3 mechs on the mission and opted to bring 3 from my Command Lance as I wanted to try out some of their prototype equipment. I brought my commanders Black Knight, which featured Triple Strength Myomers that would give him extra strength when he was running hot, an Enforcer that was toting a Gauss Rifle, and a Hatchetman, with a prototype auto cannon. All of them are pretty slow, but pack a good punch. I figured I would be slogging my way to the target.

Burk managed to roll a 1 for the opfor, so I was going to be facing 5 Light mercenary mechs. I outweighed him a bit, but he had a solid numbers advantage. The mission also allowed him a commander that was more highly skilled, which he dropped into his heaviest mech, a 35-ton Panther.

I headed straight for the objective and he through his light mechs at me from every direction along the way. Burk's Commando and Jenner were killed by ammo explosions and his Panther had some great rear shots set up with his PPC, but he missed multiple times needing 5 or less to hit, bad luck there. He did manage to strip the rear armor off of my leaders Black Knight, but couldn't ever get to the internals. The rest of his mechs died one by one and in the game ended when my BK delivered a super charged kick to his legless Spider.

Burk played a good game, despite it having been many a year since his last Battletech game. He managed to do some effective damage to all of my mechs, but never quite got in that crippling blow. I was able to earn all of the available WP from the mission, claim 3 of his crippled mechs as salvage and the found two others in the buildings. After selling off the salvage and found mechs I had 815 WP, which was more than enough to repair my damages and reload my ammo bins, leaving me with 690 WP. That may seem like a lot, but there are some missions that actually require 600+ WP to undertake. My next choices for missions are Recon, Assault, Defend, Fighting Withdrawal, Pursuit, or a special story mission. I am not sure which of those I will go for just yet.

Regardless, the next game in the campaign will be with the Kurita forces next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened, this is last entry on these sessions. Great read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Sadly real life intervened and we just didn't have time to keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shmitty wrote:
Sadly real life intervened and we just didn't have time to keep playing.

Happens more times than not unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.