Tom Herman
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Got Game-d!

Hours later I'm still stunned at the turn of events that unfolded so quickly.

First off, this is a brilliant game, brilliant! Jacey (my 11 year old daughter) and her sister Bailey (my 8 year old daughter) had their first crack at this game. My first time watching as well, never having played as I just received it this week in the mail. I had explained the basics and they were off. Bailey, the Inspector, did such a great job of isolating Mr Jack, in this case Miss Stealthy, and by turn 7 had cornered her towards the bottom middle of the board and nabbed the suspect. It was exciting for both of them and fun to watch.

However, that is not the purpose of this session report. That is the background and to add to that, Bailey rarely wins any of the games that we play as usually it is between Jacey and I for the win. I try hard to take it easy but Jacey then swoops up wins in the games that we play. It is rare that Bailey stands upon the winner's podium.

After dessert, Jacey didn't feel like playing so Bailey and I took the chance to play Mr Jack. Bailey wanted to switch roles so she was Mr Jack and I was the Inspector.

The game progressed quickly and by turn 2, I had 3 suspects remaining, Sherlock (Red), John Smith (Yellow) and Jeremy Bert (Orange). Red and Yellow were on the left side and Orange on the right side of the board. As the turns continued, Bailey had difficulty locating the characters on the board quickly, looking all around and taking alot of time except for John Smith when she quickly made decisions and by the end of turn four, had yellow 2 hexes from a district exit point. Red was 4 spaces away. Both were still suspects and they remained in darkness allowing for the possibility of escape. At this point, I had the opportunity with Bert near a light post to determine his status at the end of the turn but I was so sure at this point that yellow was the suspect that I moved him towards the middle of the board, in a boneheaded move that I still can't figure out why. It was basically a throw away move because I thought I had this thing won. Beginning of turn 5, fearing that she would move yellow out of the district, I turned up Sherlock Holmes character card and with only 3 spaces away landed on John Smith and accused....the innocent man! Jeremy Bert escapes and Mr Jack is free.

I was so proud of Bailey and so amazed at how easily I was led. She was pumped because she was using every trick in the book to take my attention away from the real Mr Jack. The look on her face was pure satisfaction knowing that she successfully tricked me and won.

She alone stands upon the podium as Jacey and I have felt the crushing sting of defeat this night.

Lessons Learned

Never underestimate an 8 year old little girl.

Never waste an opportunity.

Don't accuse too early, before you've taken every opportunity to elminate as many suspects as you can.

Recommendation

This is a very rare game for us as it is the one, that after a play, every one of us wants to play again, right after. We have over 50 games and this has never happened. This gets a 5 star in my book and a recommendation from my family. Truly a fun game, not only because of the brilliant system but because of the psychological back and forth by each participant that is so stimulating to play and to watch.

This is one of the many sessions that will reflect my confidence going into a session thinking I Got Game and walking away in defeat as I Got Gamed by a bunch of little girls.

Edited for spelling and grammar (and still needs work I'm sure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Tell Bailey we think she is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because of the devious nature of 8-year-olds that The Girl Scouts have built the vast criminal empire they have today. Cookies are only the tip of the iceberg of their money making and laundering schemes.

Great session report! I love Mr. Jack. It's a recent favorite of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Herman
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Nice report. Tell Bailey we think she is awesome!

Absolutely. I'll have her read this, I think it will make her very proud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My eight year old daughter loves this one as well - and is always so proud when she wins. She is still a little bit nervous about playing Jack, but has a good grasp of all the tricks the inspector needs. I agree, this is one we love to play right again after we finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always great when you can get over one on the Old Man. That's a smart little girl you've got there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.