Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does one do with the monsters in the outskirts when the terror track reaches 10? Do they flood into town, get removed to the bag (so they're available to be drawn at later points in the game) or do they just sit there?

Can somebody point me towards where this is officially answered (i.e. manual page or FAQ)?

ps: Feel free to give me your thematic interpretation as well, but I'd really like to know if this has been officially answered as I didn't see a reference in the core manual.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enish, I have it on page 20 of the manual, under The Terror Track -"Look at all the monsters". There it states that if the terror level reaches 10 the town of arkham is overrun and the monster limit is removed for the rest of the game, and there is no longer any limit to the number of monsters in the town.
So they flood into town and have a free for all. Hope this works for you, I just played this yesterday and knew I saw it in the manual somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't specifically answer my question. When they say that "arkham is over run" I do not believe they're referencing the outskirts since they don't specify which location they bleed into. I took that just to mean "arkham has no limit".. So every monster that spawns into Arkham stays.

In other words, it seems like they're talking about everything except the monsters currently in the outskirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you remove the monsters in the outskirts when the terror track goes up a notch, this is really a non issue. When the terror track goes to 10, the monster limit is no longer in effect and all subsequent monsters are placed in Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
Since you remove the monsters in the outskirts when the terror track goes up a notch, this is really a non issue. When the terror track goes to 10, the monster limit is no longer in effect and all subsequent monsters are placed in Arkham.

Don't forget that monsters which enter vortexes in the Dunwich board also raise the terror level. As do the "Next Act" cards from The King in Yellow.

That's the situation I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
guzerat wrote:

This answer is mostly correct except the monsters don't go back to Arkham right away.

Going to 10 is like any other time the terror level is raised. From page 18: "When the number of monsters in the Outskirts exceeds this limit, return all of the monsters in the Outskirts to the monster cup and increase the terror level by 1."

Once you reach Level 10, on page 20: "the town of Arkham is overrun by monsters and the monster limit is completely removed from the game. There is no longer any limit on the number of monsters that can rampage through town."

Put this all together. You have enough monsters in the outskirts to go from Terror Level 9 to 10. As per normal, all monsters in the outskirts are returned to the monster cup. Since you are at Level 10, there is no limit to the monsters in Arkham. From this point on, any and all monsters drawn will now remain in Arkham/Sky. There is no safety valve of releasing the monsters into the outskirt.

The mechanic is there to prevent this game from bogging down into just an investigator vs. monster fight. It is more fun to explore and have other encounters. But you can't do that if all you do is fight monsters. So it allows monsters to "disappear" if they get too numerous. However, there is a penalty if you completely ignore monsters. Certain privledges get taken away at certain points. Eventually, the game says you're a big boy now, handle all the monsters if you can't manage them effectively.

Thematically, you could say the arrival of Monsters is one-by-one and they wander all around not knowing what to do. Once the Terror level hits 10, the inflow of monsters is too great; the wandering nature (or outflow) is overwhelmed by this influx of monsters. So they atarts "accumulating" in town faster than they can leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
This answer is mostly correct

It might be, but it's exactly the same as the answer you gave

If my wording was confusing, then my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
guzerat wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

When I read it again, you stated it correctly. I first read it that once the terror level is at 10 the monsters are placed in Arkham. I missed the "subsequent" part.

I read it too fast and was reading it in the context of the question - what happens to the monsters in the Outskirts when you reach level 10.

So you are right and we agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You both glossed over my last reply which shows exactly how monsters can be left in the outskirts even with the track going to 10.

I checked the official forums and was told this is a legitimate hole in the rules. Nothing covers it.

The (un)official consensus amongst those players seems to be the monsters stay in the outskirts, trapped till an event card or closing gate releases them.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/527.p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes sense, since there are encounter cards that can cause you to fight the monsters in the Outskirts for example . . .

ninja

EDIT - Once the Terror Track reaches ten, unless there are loads of you playing and you're constantly kicking monster arse, the game is gonna shortyl be over because the GOO will wake up soon anyway thanks to the new FAQ ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which new FAQ ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So this is a question for the expansions, then. It appears the base rules cover the base game situations. If it is tied into a loop hole presented by the expansions, then I am not aware of it as I don't own the expansions yet.

As for the FAQ ruling, I believe he is refering to an FAQ question brought into the 2nd edition rules that stated the GOO awakens once the terror level reaches 10 and you exceed you Arkham monster limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
So this is a question for the expansions, then. It appears the base rules cover the base game situations. If it is tied into a loop hole presented by the expansions, then I am not aware of it as I don't own the expansions yet.

As for the FAQ ruling, I believe he is refering to an FAQ question brought into the 2nd edition rules that stated the GOO awakens once the terror level reaches 10 and you exceed you Arkham monster limit.

I'm pretty sure the base game has situations where mythos cards can raise the terror level (i.e. Return X to cup, raise terror level if any are returned, etc), so no - it's not just an expansion question.

As to the FAQ ruling, what you stated is explicitly laid out in the rules. Why was a FAQ ruling necessary for something printed in the rules? This leads me to believe he meant something else and now I'm puzzled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Because the FAQ answered questions from the 1st edition rules that were incorporated into the 2nd edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Not half as confusing as the bleedin' rulebook itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Because the FAQ answered questions from the 1st edition rules that were incorporated into the 2nd edition rules.

But he said new FAQ... wouldn't that be the Dunwich era FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

What he said.

Heh, ok.. You had me confused there for a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is so much controversy about this question!

OK, the rivised rules say that when the Terror Track reaches 10 the monster limit is ignored. This means anymore monsters that appear will fill up the town instead of the outskirts. If the terror level hits 10 by means other than the outskirts being over-filled, I would say that the monsters in the outskirts get left where they are for the (short) remainder of the game (they are still there, roaming around the outskirts of the town!).

If the terror track is pushed to 10 by the outskirts filling up then the outskirt monsters are retuned to the cup and any more will appear in Arkham.

Bearing in mind every monster surge from this point on brings a doom token and the AOO will automatically awaken of the amount of monsters in Arkham ever doubles the monster limit- this means the monsters in the outskirts are pretty useless by this point, as you are only another surge or two from the end anyway! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:
Bearing in mind every monster surge from this point on brings a doom...

Why would a monster surge add a doom token if you are at terror 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MillMaster wrote:
Narlgoth wrote:
Bearing in mind every monster surge from this point on brings a doom...

Why would a monster surge add a doom token if you are at terror 10?

A monster surge shouldn't do this.

However, it is slightly easier to trip the final battle once you reach Level 10. 1) Monsters equal to 2x the # of investigators triggers the final battle. 2) Any event that causes the Terror Level to go up instead places 1 Doom token for every level that would go beyond 10.

But exceeding the monster limit does not do this any longer since the monster limit is removed at Level 10. Perhaps this is what he was implying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.