HAPPY PANCAKE TUESDAY && WEATHERMAN'S DAY!!
Holidays & Observances February 5, 2008 (Tuesday):http://www.butlerwebs.com/holidays/february.htm#5
* Apollo 14 - the third US manned Moon expedition. Alan Shepard & Edward Mitchell walk on Moon for 4 hours on February 5, 1971
* 5th Emmy Awards take place on February 5, 1953. I Love Lucy, Thomas Mitchell & Helen Hayes win awards.
* "Hagar The Horrible" comic strip debuts on February 5, 1973
* Mardi Gras Day 2008 - Mardi Gras is the French and southern United States day of celebration on the last day before Lent. It is always 46 days before Easter.
o Mardi Gras - (Fat Tuesday) - Observed the Tuesday before the first day of Lent.
o Mardi Gras - Frequently Asked Questions: www.mardigrasday.com/mardigras/mgfaq.php
o I used to live in Hamtramck (metro Detroit), MI. On "Fat Tuesday" the big celebration is "Paczki Day." It is based on the Polish tradition of cleaning the pantry of all the things you cannot have during lent and making rich, sweet donuts.
* Pancake Tuesday
o Pancake Tuesday (or Pancake Day) is the English version of Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday when thin, flat pancakes are cooked and eaten.
o National Pancake Day is Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent. www.auntjemima.com/tradition/fun-facts.html
* "Peter Pan" by Walt Disney opened at Roxy Theater in New York City on February 5, 1953
* Reader's Digest magazine was first published on February 5, 1922
* Shrove Tuesday
o Shrove Tuesday: The name comes from the custom of making confessions and receiving forgiveness on the last day before Lent which was known as being shriven.
* "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" premieres on CBS on February 5, 1967
* Weatherman's Day...
"February 5 is national weatherman's day, commemorating The birth of John Jeffries in 1744. Jeffries, one of America's first weather observers, began taking daily weather observations in Boston in 1774 and he took the first balloon observation in 1784. This is an appropriate time to recognize the men and women who collectively provide Americans with the best weather, water and climate forecasts and warning services of any nation." (Submitted by Ernie Marion, retired meteorologist.)
Celebrity Birthdays February 5th:
Anniversaries of Deaths - Feb. 5th:
* Hank Aaron, 1934 (Athlete, Baseball)
* Bobby Brown, 1969 (Singer)
* Red Buttons, 1919 (Comedian/Actor)
* Barbara Hershey, 1948 (Actress)
* Al Kooper, 1944 (musician, Blood Sweat & Tears)
* Roger Staubach, 1942 (Athlete, NFL quarterback)
* Doug McClure, 1995 (Actor)