Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Humphreys
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there,
Just need quick clarification on a point regarding feint attacks.

Attack threat declared - defender retreats (cavalry) - can the attacker still declare the attack a feint?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vickers wrote:
Hello there,
Just need quick clarification on a point regarding feint attacks.

Attack threat declared - defender retreats (cavalry) - can the attacker still declare the attack a feint?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Humphreys
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me that, since this question gets asked every so often, that I ought to expand on this a little: why isn't it legal to feint if the enemy retreats?

In playtest it was tried out and it didn't work very well. First, it didn't make sense for the retreating defender to take retreat losses in the absence of any enemy pursuit; one option would have been to exclude retreat losses in such a case, but in addition to adding a rules complication, it still didn't seem to work that well: the idea of attackers finding themselves drawn into pursuit once they see the enemy retreating, even if it wasn't their original intention, seemed to me more in keeping with what actually happened in the period, and so the rule works as it works. As always, people who want to play with alternative rules are free to do so, but having tried a number of variations, the published rules on this are the ones I think worked best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, interesting. This came up in our game tonight; my initial interpretation was that you couldn't feint (step 2 says the attacker moves into the defense approach, and the rest of the sequence is ignored, while feints aren't declared until step 3), but after talking about it some, we decided that you could feint, and that it made sense that you should be able to. I'm sort of glad to see that my initial interpretation was right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Sokol
msg tools
"If no defending pieces are named, then the
defender must retreat (see section 12). The
attacking player then makes his attack declaration,
and moves his pieces into the defense
locale. (Exception: if the attacker reveals that
the attack is by an artillery unit that could have
led the attack as per step 5 of this procedure
had the defender not retreated, the artillery unit
does not have to move.) A retreat before combat
ends the attack: the remaining steps in the
attack procedure are ignored."

What is a meaning of the exception: attacker can reveal artillery as leading unit and therefore not to advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jans3 wrote:
What is a meaning of the exception: attacker can reveal artillery as leading unit and therefore not to advance?

When you declare an attack led by artillery, you don't advance into the enemy locale; you stay where you are, even though you win the attack.

So, the exception is just saying that the attacker can say "that was going to be an artillery bombardment" (and prove it by revealing an artillery piece which was eligible to have led an attack) instead of moving into the locale. (I believe it still uses an order, though.) Otherwise, the attacker must move at least one unit into the locale which the defender just vacated.

(Does that make sense?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty's reply to Janusz's question is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.