Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Rules

Subject: King Arthur rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have a question about King Arthurs special ability. Are you allowed to discuss what you want with the person trading? For example, " i need a fight 5 card, oh you have one? Okay, ill trade you that for this special card"

can someone explain how it is supposed to be used? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, according to the rule book you should never discuss exactly what is in your hand. You can speak in general terms like, "I would like assistance in finding the grail" or something like that, but you are not allowed to say what cards specifically you have or need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As with many rules in SoC, this is up to group-interpretation. I would say the "definite no" is discussing exact cards like in your example.

However, say you're fighting the black knight and lay down a 5. This is a type of clue for Arthur to send you a 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
I remember reading in the rules to not state specifically which cards you have in your hand, so thats why i was a little confused. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I played a 3 player game (and lost to no surprise) can't wait to play a 7 player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that. The contents of your white cards isn't to be discussed, and that includes when King Arthur participates in a trade with any other player. That's how we played it.

You should be able to tell by context what a player needs and your tradee should have an idea of what you (as Arthur) wants. If not, that's something to work out... try, try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thinks it's more useful to try and trade Arthur cards that other players might want instead of guessing what it is he might want.

Such as giving him special whites to pass to Galahad in a later turn, or grail cards if I'm on a different quest and other knights are toiling away at the grail.

Although there are certain situations where it's plainly obvious what Arthur needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the answer is also "NO." King Arthur is THE KING and his knights get what he gives them. It's King Arthur's job to intuit what his vassals need and to be responsive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster who said that it's open to group interpretation -- we're a little more liberal with the group-speak (although we follow every other rule precisely), and still only win about 50% of the time. My wife especially likes to find creative ways to "say without saying" what she has or what she needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just to add.... page 13 of the Book Of Quests states that the exchange of a white card must happen simultaneously. In other words, each knight won't know what card they received until they already passed their own card to the other knight.

I think this rule was broken at least several times across my various sessions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Page 13 does NOT say specifically that they are simultaneous. It says "King Arthur may pass on White card to any other Knight, regardless of their respective location on the gameboard. The recipient must return one White card in exchange."

That seems to me to say that Arthur gives them a card, they can look at it, and then choose to give back any card they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Actually, Page 13 does NOT say specifically that they are simultaneous. It says "King Arthur may pass on White card to any other Knight, regardless of their respective location on the gameboard. The recipient must return one White card in exchange."

That seems to me to say that Arthur gives them a card, they can look at it, and then choose to give back any card they want.

Quote:
At any point during his turn, King Arthur may pass one White card to any other Kinight, regardless of their respective location on the gameboard. The recipient must return one White card in exchange. Both exchanges are made with the cards face down, unknown to the other players.

Unknown to the other players may imply that the 2 knights may not be privy to what was given to them before giving away a white card of their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
Unknown to the other players may imply that the 2 knights may not be privy to what was given to them before giving away a white card of their own.

Indeed, and the FAQ specifically confirms that this is the case.

This is what happens when you try to rule based on cropped quotes. The full passage and context should be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.