Hide
6 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple base sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J P
msg tools
I was just wondering if anyone plays with multiple base sets, with or without expansions. I'm not really what the advantage of that would be - except more tiles and possibly more people/teams - but it was a thought and it rarely hurts to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These guys do:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
One of the benefits if you only play without expansions is that many people get to memorize the tile counts and types of tiles. With two sets you can mix all of the tiles together and randomly remove half. That ensures that the tile mix is completely random and unpredictable. Player's will not know if the world will be road heavy, rich with cloisters, or big with cities. It is a nice way to create an unknown mix of tiles each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bixby wrote:
With two sets you can mix all of the tiles together and randomly remove half. That ensures that the tile mix is completely random and unpredictable.

And thus remove almost all of the strategy there is in the game. Conversely I leave all the tiles in and hand out tile count manifests to the players.

Quote:
It is a nice way to create an unknown mix of tiles each game.

I can see no reason to play that variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a variant. The picture above, however, does seem like boredom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Bixby wrote:
With two sets you can mix all of the tiles together and randomly remove half. That ensures that the tile mix is completely random and unpredictable.

And thus remove almost all of the strategy there is in the game. Conversely I leave all the tiles in and hand out tile count manifests to the players.

Quote:
It is a nice way to create an unknown mix of tiles each game.

I can see no reason to play that variant.

I understand your points on this. I should have explained that quite often we are showing new players the game and it is a great equalizer for new players. As far as removing almost all of the strategy, I don't quite agree with you on that point. It certainly removes an element of strategy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.