Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Players are not barons. They may be princes, dukes, marques, earls or even counts but not barons. A baron is the lowest hereditary non-royal noble rank there is. A baron is the guy who gets laughed at and sent to die in the wars. Loads of barons didn't own anything, some not even a decent suit of armor. A baron leading a bid for the crown is like a sergeant taking over command of an army.

Well, all right. If you've got a lot of barons ganging together you get a force to be reckoned with - like all the troops in an army mutinying. So there, you might be a baron if you want to. But then your "loyal" nobles will be barons too. Nobles don't like to think themselves inferior to anyone, least of all some schmoe from peasant stock recently knighted - no siree, they've got their peerage ages and ages ago. Maybe that's why your "loyal" nobles keep losing so many battles. Wonder what they'll do with their bribes once you become known as a leader who looses engagements...

So good luck, baron. Me, I'll stick with being a duke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Er heisst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hello there!

I think FFG has - justly or unjustly - been accused for many things, but I've never heard any complaints about the historical correctness or adequateness of the focus of a historical FFG-game. This, I think, may be due to the fact that their design-team very obviously seems to be... umm... not overly interested in the historical reality of the world they claim to depict. In fact, if I look at the "Warrior Knights" cover, I see an incredibly over-the-top fantasy-style suit of armour, standing for a game that focuses on Warfare and leaves all aspects of social structure, feudal dependencies, noble marriages and heritage aside.

That said, I do think the same reason is behind the players being called "Barons": it simply sounds cool and makes the ensuing slugfest fun to comment upon. Surely works for me! devil

On a side note, I'd like to know how much of the fantasy aspect of the game came with the remake and how the original game design by Derek Carver felt like ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further more, if you are the Red player... you would be the "Red Baron" then... it does sound cool, don't it!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
I've just seen your question Isaak. You've probably lost interest by this time - but in case not, Warrior Knights was originally conceived as taking place in a mythical small country set somewhere in the middle of the European landmass at an imprecise time. (It was 'a game' and although everything included in the original was based on historic fact, the 'facts' were culled from a number of different periods and places!)

The actual players - who are shadowy figures that control their individual factions - would in English terms be regarded as Earls, or later Dukes. Their forces were commanded by underlings and for the sake of uniformity these were all called Barons in the original game.

The word 'Baron' tended to get associated with the game I suppose because this is the only rank mentioned. But your observation is perfectly correct. Barons were certainly nowhere near the top of the pecking order!

Derek

(I have to say that I am in no way familiar with the Fantasy Flight version, which I have only played once, so what I have said above might now be different because FF made many changes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.