Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
The rules seem not to allow a player to 'Pass', yet there are times when one cannot take any useful action. (And to 'Pass' one assumes the player must discard two cards but do nothing.)

In our game tonight one player found himself totally blocked-in during the Canal Phase so merely kept collecting money with nothing to spend it on. So in the Rail Phase he decided to retaliate by completely blocking-off the seaward side of the board with his railways and then continued to spend money solely on track in order to block in other players. It was a viable tactic because he won the game by a single point.

But in my opinion it spoiled the game. It also meant that other players, finding they could do nothing, also had to 'Pass' - this action, as I say, not being allowed for in the rules.

Is there something in the rules I have missed? Whilst it clearly could be a tactic to totally block an opponent in, it is hardly likely to make that person want to play the game again and I feel there should be a rule somewhere that rescues him from this eventuality.

- Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems vaguely possible to totally block a player in, but only vaguely possible.

Are you requiring a rail connection to build an industry in a city when playing the card for that city? The requirement to have a connection only applies to building using industry cards (i.e., cards with a picture on it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By the way, the rules completely allow a player to pass.

At the top of page 4:

You can also choose to not perform an action, but you still discard the card you played. You may repeat the same action.

(Emphasis added by me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
What about playing ANY two cards, to build ANY industry in ANY location? Wouldn't that be better than passing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Development would seem to be a better choice than passing in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
What about playing ANY two cards, to build ANY industry in ANY location? Wouldn't that be better than passing?

That would have been my suggestion as well...worst case scenario you can always plop down a coal mine, cotton mill, or port SOMEWHERE.

Or, if you have a bit of income to work with, start aggressively taking loans and then unleash the money fury in the second half of the game.

I would also check to make sure you're playing correctly. You realize, for instance, that the city cards function differently than the industry cards and do not require you to be connected to the location yourself, but only that you can carry requisite coal there if the tile requires it?

Links are nice for point scoring, and they can restrict you when you have a hand full of industry cards, but usually being hemmed in isn't a big deal, especially in the first part of the game, because there are always open slots in cities, and most of the tiles don't require coal, which can be moved over other player's links in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All great points being raised. One can always ...

a. pass (it is legal)
b. Discard two cards for the "wild card" play ... expensive, but better than a kick in the head
c. make sure you're playing city cards correctly, as you don't have to be connected in order to play 'em.

Heck, you could always ...
d. Take a loan

if you absolutely wanted to do something with your turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:

Heck, you could always ...
d. Take a loan

if you absolutely wanted to do something with your turn!

I love the loan fury.

In the last game I played I won by aggressively taking loans in the first half of the game, keeping my actual income at dead 0. I entered the second half riding 83 pounds. I then used that to build a monstrous iron road, and almost exhausted my railroad tiles. I gained a few side points from coal mines and a cotton mill, but my win was almost entirely on the back of the huge rail I built with all that cash.

This is why I'm currently in love with Brass, the number of viable winning strategies and ways of pursuing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks everybody. (Isn't the Geek wonderful!) Since nobody else has complained about this problem I felt we had a rule wrong AND WE OBVIOUSLY DID.

Here's the rule we got wrong. "A Location card allows you to build at that location. An Industry card allows you to build that type of industry BUT only locations you are connected to."

We failed to spot the subtle difference in these two sentences.

Thanks again. I now face telling the guy who won by blocking us in that he shouldn't have!

- Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very hard to get blocked in when playing Brass.

Remember, you can always built on top of another player's coal or iron plants. Granted that you have the higher tech level. And also if there is no more coal/iron on the board or the Demand Track.

This rule is easily missed out or forgotten. In my last game, I capitalize on that rule to beatdown the leading player to third place. Hehe.. Should have seen the look on his face when his Level 3 Ironworks (flipped) was replaced with my Level 4 Ironworks.. Priceless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.