Risk: Édition Napoléon» Forums » General

Subject: Risk: Edition Napoleon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Davis
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I'm new to the board-daming hobby, and decided to start myself off with Risk (it being one of the classics and all). When I went to my local gaming shop, though, they had no copies of the classic Risk, instead they had Risk: Edition Napoleon (in French). Assured by the salesman that it was one of the two most popular versions (and that it had English rules inside) I bought it. When I opened it up I found that there were only French rules inside. I googled the game to see if I could find an English version of the rules. Imagine my suprprise when I found out that it was one of only 10,000 copies produced in 1999. I was incredulous as first, but couldn't find any sources saying there was a re-run of the game, and my local had 4 copies of it. It was only $80AUS, which is around 50 euros (the original retail price, I think).

What I wanted to know, really, is: was this a good deal? Is it worth buying a copy to keep in mint condition? Is it difficult to aquire? I had a look online and found that they're not readily available.

Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum for this thread.

Cheers,
Evan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the find. Looks like someone translated the rules into English - see the file section on the game's page: Risk: Édition Napoléon

If you're looking for a value, I'd recommend making a general topic post in the forum on the game's page. I'm guessing that any well thought-of game with a limited run like this probably has a goodly number of "game collectors" who would desire having it in their collections.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be one of said collectors happy to trade a vanilla english risk for the Napoleon version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I think there _was_ a reprint of the game a few years ago, but am not sure of how you tell the editions apart.

We found the 'campaign game' didn't work at all. The rules aren't particularly well written (this does not seem to be a problem with translation, either). Still, some interesting new twists on the old familiar game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, there must have been several editions. There was a numbered French edition of 20,000 copies (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/213501). The number appears on the map board (lower right-hand, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/166997).

I myself have an unnumbered French edition (the date on the box is 1999, but I bought it new last year when it was on offer for 34 euros), and I know there was at least a Spanish version of the Napoleon Edition as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yes, of corse, there is a spanish version of the game, numbered too, 20000 copies in the 1999 year.
Now in France, there is a new version,christmas 2007. Can anybody tell something about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony uzeta
United States
reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
I`m going crazy trying to find this game. If you can find this game for me in french with the ottoman ampire i will pay you $100 for it. please help. Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.