Subject: How much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm intrigued by this game. However, how much does it cost? I did not see any reference to it on the Winsome Games website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail 30, plus 10 for shipping, within the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the information. But it prompts another question. Is it worth $40? The images of the game don't display great production value in the components. Will I get my money's worth, or should I spend my $$ on another train-themed game? I'm thinking perhaps, Silverton or Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find Age of Steam for $40, let me know - I'll take three!

To answer your question of whether it's worth it: Yes. The game play is worth it. Sure, the components are cheap, but you don't get much for your $$ when you're only making a few copies. You can hope that someone picks it up for wider distribution, in which case they'll probably make better components - and jack up the price a bit, though not hugely - but that's a risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
Thanks for the information. But it prompts another question. Is it worth $40? The images of the game don't display great production value in the components. Will I get my money's worth, or should I spend my $$ on another train-themed game? I'm thinking perhaps, Silverton or Age of Steam.

You tell me.

I own a fairly large library of Winsome games at this point, and I think they are worth the price paid. They have scant bits and production in comparison to major publisher ventures, but I am more interested in the game than the actual bits, and Winsome tends to publish very interesting, gamer's style train games which appeal to me. You can undoubtedly get nicer looking games with better bits for less money though.

In terms of train games, I think Wabash is one good representative of the stock holding branch of train games, and certainly the fastest playing of the good ones (i.e.: my faves in that family include the Prairie Railroads Series and the 18XX games).

I would never say that it is better than Age of Steam, but AoS is my favourite game period, so that gives you zero information. I have not played Silverton, though it looks interesting, albeit, not something that I am going to be blown away by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Palladin wrote:
Thanks for the information. But it prompts another question. Is it worth $40?

For me, yes, but then for me Wabash Cannonball is the best game to come out in the last few years.

Quote:
The images of the game don't display great production value in the components.

I don't really care about production quality beyond simple playability; I care about the game. Much like Michael I own about a dozen Winsome games (Wabash, Pampas, Lancashire, New England, Robber Barons, both Trainsports, Iron Shoes and Wooden Horses, Australian, Dutch Intercity etc). Apparently there's enough there to keep me buying.

Quote:
Will I get my money's worth, or should I spend my $$ on another train-themed game? I'm thinking perhaps, Silverton or Age of Steam.

I own Age of Steam and have played it a few hundred times. Great game. I've played Wabash Cannonball about 30 times in the last 3 months. I'll be unsurprised if that number breaks 100 before the year's end. It will break 50 this year. I've not played Silverton, but I've little interest in it (very much not my style of game).

Will Wabash Cannonball be good for you? Do you like confrontational, calculating, emergent alliance games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:

The game is worth $40, if you have a group that enjoys tight, difficult, train-themed, econ games. The bonus is that it plays in about 45 minutes.

The components won't wow you. The board isn't particularly well designed. The money is best thrown out and replaced with poker chips.

The game itself is awesome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
should I spend my $$ on another train-themed game? I'm thinking perhaps, Silverton

I spent a few minutes looking at your profile, sir, especially your postings, and I think Silverton would be a better choice for you, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I appreciate your candor. However I live in the Great Lakes area, and all of the railroads (or their proxies) historically existed and competed in the area. Thus I'm very much attracted to W. Cannonball and I grew up listening to train songs Roy Acuff, Hank Snow and,of course, Arlo Guthrie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all due respect, sir, I really don't think it is a good fit. Wabash Cannonball is like a fast sports car with a bad paint job and stiff seats. It is for a special type of gamer. Silverton is like a nice family car with a factory paint job and comfortable seats. Looks nice! Much safer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I appreciate the analogy. I guess I gotta prove that I can drive the family sedan before Dad gives me the keys to his two-seater convertible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
Palladin wrote:
should I spend my $$ on another train-themed game? I'm thinking perhaps, Silverton

I spent a few minutes looking at your profile, sir, especially your postings, and I think Silverton would be a better choice for you, IMHO.

That's some pretty @#$%ing awesome service from a game publisher right there! Cheers!

Speaking of which, how do I go about getting a copy, John? Do I need to e-mail you or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
out4blood wrote:
Speaking of which, how do I go about getting a copy, John? Do I need to e-mail you or something?

http://www.boardgameprices.com/search.aspx?cs=silverton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is today opposite day? In the past, you've been an ardent promoter. What game would you recommend for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
out4blood wrote:

http://www.boardgameprices.com/search.aspx?cs=silverton

No. I meant Wabash Cannonball, silly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
out4blood wrote:
No. I meant Wabash Cannonball, silly!

US$40 in a postal order to John Bohrer along with a USA shipping address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.