Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
- Military Statesmen Void Disasters
a. All Statesman that void any war's Disaster/Standoff numbers instead now void ALL Disaster numbers on ALL wars (and Leaders) in the game but do not void ANY Standoff numbers. Also, add this ability to both Caesar and Pompey. So the affected Statesman are: #1A, #18A, #19A, #1B, #1C, #27A, #4A, #30A. [Also, increase #1A military rating to 6]. Note that Fabius Maximus Cunctator is not affected by this rule - his ability remains the same as in the original game.

[This is based on a similar rule that someone else came up with. Their version worked on standoffs only - not disasters. It made more sense to me that these great generals should void disasters instead.]

With this rule, you still have the issue with certain senators getting too much influence but you're not being pigeonholed about it. Also, there are no longer any automatic victories (100% chance of victory) which can occur in the original game - that of course feels very gamey. It also adds some variety to the games as you're not sending the same general to the same war from game to game.

For Maximus, I wanted his special ability to remain in the game and giving him this new one would make him too powerful. You could do something like:

Halves all losses in combat on an odd TDR and ALL Disaster rolls are converted to Standoffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the "adding variety", I'm not too keen on this variant. The main reason being that pigeonholing is a primary mechanic in the game that this variant would reduce. For example, having Cornelius and a couple of Punic Wars to fight puts his faction in a good position. This variant reduces all affected Statesmen to essentially the same level which ignores the historical aspect of the game as well as the interest of the inbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems an interesting approach but may go to far in losing the differences between statesmen. Something along these lines though may be a good idea because I find that it is very common for the right statesman to not be available for a war. (The game actually has an issue here by having Marius/Sulla in the wrong period to fight the Social War).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.