Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today is my wife's birthday.

You may find this hard to believe, but I haven't exactly bought her a present yet. Uhh, or a card.

This year, she provided me with a mail-order catalog, with specific pages marked & items circled--a wide range of options which one might choose directly, or which might serve as an inspiration, a guide to the sort of things she likes.

I didn't get around to ordering anything; I prefer to support local businesses, so my plan was to go to a nearby store which has the right category of stuff, hold a random page of the catalog up to my left eye, and wander around looking at things with my right eye until I got a match.

However--and this part is not my fault--on Sunday, when I went to the store I was thinking of, it was closed for remodeling! Nooooo!!! And at that point of course it was too late to order from the catalog... so it looks like this year it's going to be "the usual." ("Oh, how nice, it's a candle. And, a bar of soap. And... an orange?")

The icing on the cake, so to speak--which reminds me, she'll be making her own cake again--will be if my copy of FAB: The Bulge arrives today. That will really be special.

(Oh yeah, game night is tonight. Last week, when I mentioned that her birthday was this week, but that she'd said it was up to me whether or not we canceled this week, everyone's eyes got real big, and they said "so... that means we're not gaming, right?" Ha, ha, ha, those guys are hilarious.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Tune in next week for the first episode of a new series, Kuhrusty: Single Gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Learn to find comfort in the fact that you will provide a less than satisfactory birthday experience for your wife.

My wife (gosh!... coming up on 22 years now) routinely buys stuff within a week of her birthday (and Christmas) and in many cases it overlaps with what I've bought her leaving me in the dirt scrambling for something else. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you are screwed.

It's time for a full-on Kobayashi Maru, an emergency high-gee brain-bleeding maneuver. Cancel game night immediately, get a sitter for the kids & 'make it special.' Go sideways on the gift--what's something she'd really like, but would never buy for herself? Something she won't expect?

Do everything she loves, all at once.

Barring that you can always go for the ass-chaps & peach pie.

Best of luck to you. You'll need it.

surprise

PS. Hide the goddamn game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense... buy her something nice she won't expect.

How about a display box of Magic:The Gathering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I hope you've already made plans for Valentine's Day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Oh. My. God. Rusty. RED ALERT!!!!!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! [Fill in other pop culture references for trouble.] Because, man, you are in trouble. What were you thinking? Was thinking involved? Do you know a good divorce lawyer?

She even laid out what she wanted well in advance of the day. What else does she have to do? Stand on her head and sing "Dixie" backwards? C'mon buddy, cancel games night and get some dinner reservations going. Get your "It's on backorder" story ready.

Sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You could always do what I did with each of my wives. On the morning of their birthday I gave them a simple card stuffed with $1,000 dollars, Pecked them on the cheek and said, "Now honey, I don't want any calls from the lock-up at 3am. Okay?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cancel game night NOW, make dinner reservations NOW, buy flowers NOW!

BTW - did you finger fall off yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I sure hope I didn't inherit this condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
When you make reservations for dinner, cause that's what you're going to do, make reservations at two different places within 20 minutes of each other. If the first place burns down or some shit, you will look like a hero. Letting her shop is also a good idea, but make sure to include a card somewhere. Women love cards like we love cocaine covered hookers playing blackjack..... I mean games....

Seriously guy, what were you thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
It makes sense... buy her something nice she won't expect.

How about a display box of Magic:The Gathering?

Nah, I'm thinking a copy of "FAB: The Bulge". Yeah, for HER. Now THAT would be unexpected!

Seriously though, no matter what plan you go with (game night or not), it better involve some flowers. Besides, they can double for use at your funeral. Think of the savings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wondered if you were actually a practicing Satanist.

No need to wonder anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I always wondered if you were actually a practicing Satanist.

A practicing masochist is more like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Sunday, when I went to the store I was thinking of, it was closed for remodeling! Nooooo!!! And at that point of course it was too late to order from the catalog...
Son, you missed a golden opportunity here. The Internet is open 24/7. You could have placed an order that afternoon/evening, paid for priority shipping, and not have had to worry about this stuff at all.

That is, if you're not yanking our chains. Somehow, I believe that y'all are the type couple who don't really expect to do the traditional "oh, the calendar says I need to be nice today" gig. Instead, I bet y'all get whatever you want for one another and for yourselves as the year goes by and get along just fine without the forced Hallmark moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, make the cake for her.

She'll love you more than if you bought all the catalogue clothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty Junior wrote:
I sure hope I didn't inherit this condition.

Want to really get Dad in trouble? devil Make Mom a mushy homemade card or something, and sit back and watch the fireworks when Dad tries to tap dance his way out of this siituation. Get it on video while you're at it and post it here. You'll have enough GeekGold to buy your avatar in no time.

June
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Hum, if you are looking for advice, my suggestion is to call around to massage therapists until you find one who is free tonight and then pay for two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just surprised you are still married if this has occurred in the past. She doesn't seem to be very high on your priority list.

This is only said if you are 100% accurate in your statement and that it wasn't... exaggerated for the sake of this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My Rx is:

Chocolate,

Flowers,

Babysitter,

Restaurant,

Chick-flick.

-OR-

Plan a weekend overnight somewhere (this includes figuring out babysitting etc) and give her the plans in a card with a box of chocolates. If you do that, then I think you could maybe even keep your game night tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you need to take a page from Glenn Beck's book.

Have a friend call your wife. Your friend will pretend to be a local DJ and will read a beautiful letter that you wrote to the radio station, trying to win their Couple-of-the-Year contest. The good news is that you won!!

The bad news is that the radio station screwed up and dropped the ball making the restaurant reservations and hotel reservations, BUT they will cover everything for next week.

This gives you a week to get everything arranged and delivered and you are out of the doghouse.

On the plus side, if she cuts you off at the knees, you're still taller than everyone else in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make her bacon candy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was outed as "Mrs. Vandemonium" on Chit Chat.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Was going to add my suggestions to the melee, then I thought: Nah, why?

And spoil the show?

Plus, now if vandemonium forgets my birthday or Valentine's Day, I'm gonna check Chit Chat and see if he is publicly squirming and begging for rescue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
yay, penda got her avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty, all these fine folks have it all wrong mon frere. Well, partially all wrong. I mean you ARE totally hosed and totally in the dog house, but why fight it? I say, embrace the dog house. Finish the dog house. Paint it a lovely shade of red, put in shelves, you got your self a game room. So go to game night and have fun. Then practice your zen meditation techniques to help you survive the drubbing you will receive.

Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.