flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game:
Me,
My wife (yes a brave women)
And Dan
We just finished Last Night on Earth x2 and I was able to hook my wife into this “short game”.

Dan picked the Big Showdown, 6 maps and 3 cowboys a piece.
My wife is all about inappropriate names for everything, as are we, so we had a blast renaming our cowboys.

My gang:
Poncho (yellow sombrero cowboy)
Drunkard (Billy the kid drunk looking guy)
Poncho #2 The guy with the dark gray Mexican poncho

Wife’s Gang:
Dark rifle sheriff
Chesty Vesty
Custer look alike

Dan’s gang:
Roy Rogers (red cowboy)
Fuzzy Lumpkins AKA “Pooper” (guy with frilly leather shirt who started in the outhouse)
Basic Cowboy #1, (Saloon Boy)

The Big Showdown.
We treated all cowboys with 0 modifiers and we all just used pistols.

We started all over town, with one long straight street- good for showdowns. My wife starting her first cowboy in the Brothel, where else she asked where else would her cowboy go???? Dan started in the saloon, and Fuzzy Lumpkins in the outhouse. Silly me tried to be strategic and started my boys in the livery, hotel, and north side building in doorways facing out: little good that did.

My yellow poncho boy ran out of the livery and fired some shots at my wife’s Custer looking cowboy, shooting him in the back to no effect. Things slowed down in the brothel long enough for my wife’s cowboy to exit the rear alley and come around the adjacent saloon to get Dan’s Saloon Boy. Dan braced himself at the rear door: neither wanting to make the first move…that is until my wife threw a match on the building: who needs building codes! The building went up in flames, Dan had 4 turns to escape.

Meanwhile my drunkard was on the boardwalk staking out the front door of the burning saloon! Saloon boy was in a bad spot! My Poncho Two character turned into an alley and shot it out with Dan’s Roy Roger’s Cowboy. Shots flared, guns jammed, and my Clint Eastwood look-a-like went down in a hail of bullets despite some extra health. Pooper was on his way down the long main street to help out and now Dan had control on the eastern portion of the map.

Back in the western part of town Custer and Poncho #1 shot it out at long distance with two reloads, and smoke now visible in the distance from the Saloon. I rushed Custer when he reloaded but missed at point blank range. Custer, ever the faithful shot, blasted my knee caps and sent me to the ground. A few more shots missed again, by now every window was broken out, every cat dead in town, but 8 cowboys were still alive.

Wife’s chesty vesty came down opposite alley and I was in trouble. A few shots later I was down two cowboys, Poncho One was dead. He lamented as he passed away that the bullet that killed home also pierced his tequila bottle and he didn’t have a farewell drink.

However, saloon boy exited the smoldering saloon and Drunkard gunned him down with one shot to the head.

Now my wife’s 3-man posse sauntered down Main Street, spurs jangling, with me in between the two fearsome gangs. I exchanged some fire with the drunkard and was wounded to 1 health, at which point I fell back into adjacent building and set up shop in the window, drawing a bottle of whisky near for my last moments on earth.

A long-range pistol duel ensued while I tried to pick off my wife’s cowboys from the window. Take a shot, drink a shot, was my motto. We were all laughing at the sight of my drunkard shooting from a window next to a smoldering Saloon.

Dan’s remaining men got within 5-6 spaces of my wife’s gang and many a turn unfolded with misses, the last remaining rats, mice, houseplants, townsfolk, and floorboards all riddled with bullets. These were the worst cowboys in the west: never has a long-range shootout with pistols.

Dan’s boys did a little damage but were overwhelmed 3 to one. Pooper and Fuzzy Lumkins fell on the boardwalk. I poked my head out of the window, did some damage to Chesty Vesty, and then was dusted, after taking my last shot of whisky.

The smoke cleared and the town was in ruins, my wife emerging as the clear victor of the day. The biggest travesty was that the saloon was burned to the ground…a town without a saloon was no place for a true cowboy.

Onto the next town.

Fun game, more enjoyable in the report than the game itself. Due to high factors there are a LOT of misses, and even face to face battles can go on for long periods of time. We used the advanced rules, but I could stand a few more advanced rules in addition. Adding items rifles, shotguns, and a deeper scenario might give the game an extra boost. The showdown was big, epic, and pretty hilarious when you rename everyone and add the ‘narrative’ to the game. I look forward to my next game, but I am in no way thrilled or blown away by the game. I do acknowledge that it was a first game, and you can never quite judge a game by the first experience (usually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up! We'll try to include Chesty Vesty as a character in future expansions.

It is hard to finish each other off with just pistols (and no modifiers) in a big set-up like that!

Last couple of times we played that scenario we put weapons chits in a opaque plastic cup, enough so the odds were that each side would get one non pistol, and the cowboy counters with one or two modifiers in another plastic cup. You then draw from those to make your Weapons/Cowboy teams.

Just an idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a real free for all! Sounds like a lot of fun! Great report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.