Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering about the area of the map that contains Jerusalem. It is the about the same coloring as the Bedouin area to the left of the map.

What area is this considered? It is the only area of the map that has no label printed on it.

Judea is a different color and so I am a bit confused. Is this Judea as well? If it is, how do you know?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ER, it appears to be the same area, but why would the map have a clear line separating the Bedouin area from the area containing Jerusalem?

I wish they would have labeled it Bedouin across the entire area and not only along the left edge of the map.

Also, thank you for the PM reply. Did you cut all the corners freehand and they are the same angle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hakstege
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

Jerusalem is NOT part of the Bedouin area. The Bedouin area is clearly marked by a bold black line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is what I said above and thought myself. Then what area is it? Is it simply a neutral area?

Also, on this line of thinking about this area considered as a neutral zone. If I move units into a neutral area but do not intend to stop is it considered invading and thus have to follow the rules for deciding who owns it?

Another question is about movement points. It costs movement points to move your units, but what does that really mean?

My understanding is that, each unit has a limited amount of movement as shown on their chits. So, are movement points really nothing more than a movement limitation of units into certain areas?

I mean, what if you have unit that only has 1 movement point allowance on its chit and it wants to move into hill or clear area? According to the rules it costs one movement point for all units (except chariots) to make this move.

Since it only has a 1 for its movement allowance it is done moving once it enters the area. But, it only had one to start with so no matter where it moves it has to stop, correct?

If what about if it had a 2 as a movement allowance, would it still have been done moving; 1 point to move and a cost of 1 point to enter the area?

This idea confuses me a bit, because if the above it true, the unit with one movement point allowance would not be able to pay and move, ever.

And if it is not true, then movement points are nothing more than movement allowance and terrain has little effect.

Or maybe I just do not get it.

One other question is that, if units are joined with leaders their movement value is doubled.

However if you have a unit in the group that started with a movement allowance of 1 now doubled to 2 but all other units have a doubled allowance of 4; does the unit with 2 get left behind after the second movement step as the others go forward?

I did not intend this to be so long, but kept thinking of issues I have been running into as I try to play a solo game.

I think rules should be written with the non-war gamer in mind. I have read the rules in areas several times to try to make sense of them and still struggle, or else I am really thick!

EDIT: clarity (I hope)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hakstege
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just areas that are not a kingdom or aligned to anyone. Tribal areas.

As for your Movement questions; please stop thinking and just do as is written. You are making it way too difficult for yourself I'll help though.

"My understanding is that, each unit has a limited amount of movement as shown on their chits. So, are movement points really nothing more than a movement limitation of units into certain areas?"

Yes.

"I mean, what if you have unit that only has 1 movement point allowance on its chit and it wants to move into hill or clear area? According to the rules it costs one movement point for all units (except chariots) to make this move."

Correct. Mind any ford or river other than the Jordan, it will costs another 1 MP for chariots.

"Since it only has a 1 for its movement allowance it is done moving once it enters the area. But, it only had one to start with so no matter where it moves it has to stop, correct?"

Correct.

"If what about if it had a 2 as a movement allowance, would it still have been done moving; 1 point to move and a cost of 1 point to enter the area?"

Why change the rules all of a sudden? 2MPs for any non-chariot unit will allow it to move into 2 areas.

"This idea confuses me a bit, because if the above it true, the unit with one movement point allowance would not be able to pay and move, ever."

You were making up a rule that does not exist, so no, this (the above you refer to) is not true.

"One other question is that, if units are joined with leaders their movement value is doubled.

However if you have a unit in the group that started with a movement allowance of 1 now doubled to 2 but all other units have a doubled allowance of 4; does the unit with 2 get left behind after the second movement step as the others go forward?"

You just leave it behind. If your car is driving in a group of other cars and all other cars can go 100 miles, but yours can only 50 miles, how far can you travel before breaking up the group? 50 Miles and the other cars can still go another 50.

"I did not intend this to be so long, but kept thinking of issues I have been running into as I try to play a solo game."

We are here to help you.

"I think rules should be written with the non-war gamer in mind."

Believe me when I say that this has been done. I know plenty of "euro" games that are more difficult to get used to than this game.

"I have read the rules in areas several times to try to make sense of them and still struggle, or else I am really thick!"

Not really thick, just a little We'll make a proper grognard out of you yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hakstege wrote:
Not really thick, just a little We'll make a proper grognard out of you yet.

Thanks for noticing! This brought a smile to my face.

Thank you for the answers (and the patience), it is a very big help as I try to play through the game. I was thinking of trying to rewrite the rules myself and add in more play examples, but I think I need to understand them first! laugh

One last thing…to prove how new I really am to war games, what is a grognard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Keith,

I think that makes me a budding grognard it seems. I am still a long way from flowering though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budding and Flowering grognards??? That almost tops Oddball's (Donald Sutherland) Sherman tank firing a paint filled shell at the rear of a Tiger tank in "Kelly's Heroes" (this while Kelly (Clint Eastwood) is standing on the Sherman...).

Were old, gray, fat - more like curmudgeons, old coots or codgers - not exactly flowering types. The only flowering we know is the plume from a large HE round!

Nah - just bustin' on ya a bit. Enjoy the wargames - we certainly have had enough conflict to make games about.

Faithful wrote:
Thanks Keith,

I think that makes me a budding grognard it seems. I am still a long way from flowering though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Dooley
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Grognard is said to have originated with Napoleonic references to veteran troops. Hence...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said this much sooner, but Thank You All for your answers and help. It really does mean a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.