Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
91 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Did you know that Global Warming is Not Man-Made? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wishful_thinking [+] [View All]
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's true! The earth has been warming and cooling for thousands of years. Historically speaking, we are simply in a pendulum swing.

Now pollution is pollution and it's not nice to be a polluter. I happen to work for the #1 polluter in WI. I know alot about this.

But we can pollute and it's not going to warm the earth any faster. It might make the air smelly and the water icky, but we're gonna warm either way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
colleens wrote:
Did you know that Global Warming is Not Man-Made?


Duh!


You know, Drew, here's another interesting fact. Some people think that humans are warming the earth. Here in WI, we know better. But other people aren't as fortunate as we are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it opposite-day already?

-MMM
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
colleens wrote:
Yes, it's true! The earth has been warming and cooling for thousands of years. Historically speaking, we are simply in a pendulum swing.

Now pollution is pollution and it's not nice to be a polluter. I happen to work for the #1 polluter in WI. I know alot about this.

But we can pollute and it's not going to warm the earth any faster. It might make the air smelly and the water icky, but we're gonna warm either way.


A pendulum swing. A pendulum swing where the rate of increase has been drastically accelerating over the past 50 years, to a GEOMETRICAL increase in the past 15?

Not to mention Venus. Did you know that Venus has a surface temperature that is MUCH higher than it should be, given its orbit with the sun? Know this happened? A runaway greenhouse effect, caused by the release of CO2 into the atmosphere.

Its not POLLUTION that causes global warming- its CO2. An otherwise innoculous gas. In fact, in engineering, an engine that releases only CO2 and Water is considered to be ideal.

Darilian
(still in a therapy meeting)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entire sure if she's sincere, or just saying that it's really fuckin' cold in Wisconsin right now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew! Glad that's all cleared up!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sorry Colleen, you're doomed. Chapel has already posted two comics as source material to prove that not only are you incorrect, but that you are mentally disturbed for not thinking like him. He doesn't even need to bring out Al Gore when he has web comics.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Sorry Colleen, you're doomed. Chapel has already posted two comics as source material to prove that not only are you incorrect, but that you are mentally disturbed for not thinking like him. He doesn't even need to bring out Al Gore when he has web comics.


I know. The least he could have done was provide as much nothing to source his side as Colleen did.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Sorry Colleen, you're doomed. Chapel has already posted two comics as source material to prove that not only are you incorrect, but that you are mentally disturbed for not thinking like him. He doesn't even need to bring out Al Gore when he has web comics.


I know. The least he could have done was provide as much nothing to source his side as Colleen did.



I could be wrong... unlikely, I know... but I suspect it's really frickin' cold where she is and Al's dire predictions border on the ludicrous side when the USA is being blasted by a winter that is very un-Global Warmingish. I know that here in Idaho we seem to be back into the ice box winters that I secretly hoped would never occur again.

Of course, deniers will jump into the fray and say this is just a normal thing to expect when the entire planet is approaching a boiling point. Makes sense to me... things always get cold before they get hot. Al must be right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But Tripp, she didn't say Global Warming is a myth. She said it's not man-made. According to her sources ("Yes, it's true!", 2008) we are in a "pendulum swing" and the Earth is simply naturally getting warm because nothing humans do has any effect whatsoever on the environment.

And now you're claiming there's no warming at all because it's cold.

Dammit people, I thought the issue was settled once and for all with the OP and now I'm all confused again.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colleen;

You are hardly alone. Skepticism about anthropogenic (man-made) global warming is continually on the rise as people fact check.

Darilian, for my own edification, because I have not read this anywhere, do you have a citation for the GEOMETRIC increase in temperature over the past 15 years. And, considering the variances in global average temperature in all data sets regardless of the argument, a 15 year span seems to be meaningless.

Colleen, there is a controversial film with which you could start your investigations. It is called The Great Global Warming Swindle. It is a documentary which aired in the U.K. It has gained an international audience. You might have to hunt around for it a bit, but I found this for you on YouTube. He has the film, running about 1h17m split into 8 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CravingGod

The film is controversial because it is not from the nutcase conspiracy theory crowd. I found it extremely compelling and I do not consider myself as stupid. Activists having been working hard to poke holes in the film. That is, (a) the film is not gospel, and (b) that the film is difficult to dismiss is very noteworthy.

The scientists in the film are extremely compelling in their credentials and what they have to say. Moreover, you will probably see more of them as they have become central foci in this debate, much like Al Gore.

In other words, there is a genuine debate with real arguments from the non-anthropogenic side. Arguing this sie of the issue does not make one a crackpot although saying so is a common tactic used by the rabid global-warming believers.

Personally, I have been reading the IPCC reports and reading what and as I can. I am leaning toward this being non-anthropogenic. That anthropogenic global warming is obvious gospel truth is kool-aid.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Sorry Colleen, you're doomed. Chapel has already posted two comics as source material to prove that not only are you incorrect, but that you are mentally disturbed for not thinking like him. He doesn't even need to bring out Al Gore when he has web comics.


HAHAHAHAHAHAH!....Let me be the first to tell you, there aren't enough cited sources on the interweb that will prove to anyone on this site that anyone here knows shit about global warming.

You live in a trailer in Idaho and ride a Harley. The only credentials you will ever convince me of in life that you have that I'll believe is that you can tell a witty joke. Enjoy the comics Dieter....
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, you are all nuts. It is bloody obvious that global warming is nothing more than a diversionary tactic created by a secret consortium consisting of the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfeet (yes, that is plural), Yetis, and Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. Wake up people! "They" are "out" "there" whilst you worry your little selves over the "weather."
goo
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Colleen;

You are hardly alone.



I'm sure you're right. Are you sure which side she's on?

-MMM
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
isaacc wrote:
Colleen;

You are hardly alone.



I'm sure you're right. Are you sure which side she's on?

-MMM


Now you have me questioning it. I understood that she was stating that global warming is not anthropogenic. Am I wrong?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Octavian wrote:
isaacc wrote:
Colleen;

You are hardly alone.



I'm sure you're right. Are you sure which side she's on?

-MMM


Now you have me questioning it. I understood that she was stating that global warming is not anthropogenic. Am I wrong?


I honestly don't know. I can't tell if she's being sincere or sarcastic. She thumbed up my opposite-day post, afterall.

-MMM

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
And now you're claiming there's no warming at all because it's cold.


No Dave, I believe. I do.

I also believe it gets damned cold in the winter. And then it gets warm as the Earth swings closer to the sun.

Now as for whether mankind has tilted the natural order of things... which is confusing to me cause mankind was part of the natural order of things last time I checked... well, that's something I'm skeptical of.

Winters like this tend to dampen what smidgen of open mindedness I have about us miserable humans being at fault.

Chapel

Judging another's credibility based on prejudical mindsets regarding lifestyle choices often makes the person doing the judging look even more foolish than the one he's ridiculing. Trailer? Nay, I do not, nor have I ever lived in a trailer. Idaho? Yes, yes indeed, I do live here. Like Texas, Idaho has it's share of dumbass no-nothings. Texas though, my native land, has a much larger population of dipshits because the illusion of urbane and high-minded fellowship draws dumbass posers from other parts of the country in much the same way as the sweet smell of shit on a hot afternoon draws bottle flies.

Having spent equal time in both glorious regions, it's my opinion that Texas has a lot more shit than Idaho. Fewer Harleys here as well. The area of Austin and Round Rock, though lovely when it's not flooded or swarming with huge clouds of mosquitos, no-seeums and biting gnats, seems to attract more than it's share of maggot layers... Liberals aside, the region probably has more trailers sitting up on cinder blocks and rusty old wheel drums than Idaho, Montana and Wyoming combined.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
And now you're claiming there's no warming at all because it's cold.


No Dave, I believe. I do.

I also believe it gets damned cold in the winter. And then it gets warm as the Earth swings closer to the sun.

Now as for whether mankind has tilted the natural order of things... which is confusing to me cause mankind was part of the natural order of things last time I checked... well, that's something I'm skeptical of.

Winters like this tend to dampen what smidgen of open mindedness I have about us miserable humans being at fault.

Chapel

Judging another's credibility based on prejudical mindsets regarding lifestyle choices often makes the person doing the judging look even more foolish than the one he's ridiculing. Trailer? Nay, I do not, nor have I ever lived in a trailer. Idaho? Yes, yes indeed, I do live here. Like Texas, Idaho has it's share of dumbass no-nothings. Texas though, my native land, has a much larger population of dipshits because the illusion of urbane and high-minded fellowship draws dumbass posers from other parts of the country in much the same way as the sweet smell of shit on a hot afternoon draws bottle flies.

Having spent equal time in both glorious regions, it's my opinion that Texas has a lot more shit than Idaho. Fewer Harleys here as well. The area of Austin and Round Rock, though lovely when it's not flooded or swarming with huge clouds of mosquitos, no-seeums and biting gnats, seems to attract more than it's share of maggot layers... Liberals aside, the region probably has more trailers sitting up on cinder blocks and rusty old wheel drums than Idaho, Montana and Wyoming combined.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Faithfull
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My outrage about global warming is that it's made out to be a lot more one-sided than it is. There's compelling evidence on both sides of the argument and when people start talking about it they all feel like they're ecological experts.

I don't believe that it's man-made, someone can correct me but I've heard that something like 98% of the carbon monoxide emissions come from volcanoes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
DW and Colleen, I can't tell you whether global warming is happening or if it even exists, but I can say that the climates are changing. In Australia, I lived through record hot summers and drought, Here in Germany I lived through the wettest period here in a very long time. So whether or not 'global warming' exists, the climates are changing. No one can prove either way if man has done anything to alter the natural climate change process, but from sheer logic I can assume our pollution hasn't done anything to help the process
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_little_ice_age
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
And now you're claiming there's no warming at all because it's cold.


No Dave, I believe. I do.

I also believe it gets damned cold in the winter. And then it gets warm as the Earth swings closer to the sun.



Sorry Tripp- you're wrong on this. The reason that there are seasons is dependant upon the axis of the Earth. When its winter in the Northern hemisphere, the axis is pointing away from the sun during the day. Not as much light hits the Northern hemisphere. Meanwhile, in Australia, its Hot as hell. If temperature was dependant on difference, the North and South hemispheres would have the SAME seasons all year round.

Here's a picture of how it works.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Seasons.s...

Now, as for how it can get 'colder' while over all temperature increases...

What's really happening is that the increase of CO2 is increasing the total amount of ENERGY into the system of the Earth's climate. The better term for the climate change we are seeing is "Global Wierding". As more energy enters the system, the Gulf stream gets hotter, making more violent hurricanes. Droughts get longer in Equatorial regions. And in the Northern Climes, there is more snow- since there is more evaporation over the Ocean, and since Warm air carries more moisture, more water is lifted from the oceans onto the continent. When the cold air precipitates the water, the result is a MASSIVE release of snow. Not to the mention that the cold air is created as a result of greater energy in the system- its essentially a giant air conditioner on a planetary scale. If you don't think it takes a LOT of energy to make air cold, then you don't live in Texas and pay my air conditioning bill!

And NONE of you can dispute the Greenhouse effect. Venus SHOWS us what happens when there is a runaway greenhouse effect. What causes this? Excess CO2 emitions.

Really, it doesn't MATTER what is causing more CO2 to be in the atmosphere. We KNOW what will happen if too much is released- the planet turns into Venus. The question that scientists don't know is WHERE that line is- what is the THRESHOLD for the 'crossover point'. Even if this is 'natural'- which given that we are releasing more CO2 from our engines than ever before in history is ridiculous to lay ALL of it at Mother Nature's feet, but whatever- IF IT IS NATURAL, then it STILL behooves us to do what we can to prevent our climate turning into a runaway Greenhouse effect.

People are more upset about the even the POSSIBILITY of lead being in children's toys, but yet we drive cars that are, every day, releasing a gas that could be FAR more destructive in its effect.

Darilian
(My therapist says that I should just accept that the voices I talked to last night are right. They DO want my apartment to be clean.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
...

I also believe it gets damned cold in the winter. And then it gets warm as the Earth swings closer to the sun.

...


For 2008:

January 3 - date Earth is closest to the sun
July 4 - date Earth is farthest from the sun
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.