Popular Tags: [View All]
james zajicek
United States
henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
If a Russian unit is almost surrounded...and has only 1 friendly
space adjacent...and suffers a defeat and must retreat 2

Must he retreat to the friendly space as the first retreat space..and then into a empty enemy controlled space...

Or....seeing that he cannot retreat 2 into friendly spaces can he just
directly retreat into empty enemy controlled spaces (and get away)

In particular...the Russian front is at Mikhaylovsk and is attacked from
Voronezh

The german controls Tambov, Serafimovich, Kalach, Kamenskaya, and
Voroshilovgrad....these spaces are empty...
Then on the retreat 2....must the surviving front retreat directly
into Millerovo (friendly to russian), and then one more space after
that........or can he retreat to Stalingrad..or Saratov...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that the first retreat space must be Millerovo. It is the only friendly controlled space available for retreat, and 11.44 says that units must retreat to friendly spaces if possible, but may retreat into enemy spaces if it is not. After retreating to Millerovo, the unit then would have a choice. I would need more information to truly say, as retreating units must end their retreat in supply if possible. THe second space could be to Voroshilovgrad, Kamenskaya, or Kalach. In retreating, that space would become allied controlled, but the unit(s) would have to move to one of those spaces that would leave them in supply. If that was not possible, then they could retreat to any of those three spaces as the second move of their retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james zajicek
United States
henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why must the unit retreat so as to be in supply?? I don't see that in the rules for this game....although it is true for Paths of Glory..
In fact..POG also clarifies the "first" retreat question in the rules..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dellchili wrote:
Why must the unit retreat so as to be in supply?? I don't see that in the rules for this game....

Look under 11.44 Retreat Restrictions, 6th bullet point: "SUPPLY: Must end their retreat in supply if possible."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james zajicek
United States
henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
yes..i see....but now it seems that a unit can retreat thru an enemy controlled space to get to be in supply...rather than retreat only into friendly controlled (albeit OOS) spaces..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean. The rules say a unit must retreat to a friendly controlled space if possible. They also say that a unit must end their retreat in supply if possible. What the rules don't provide is a hierarchy between the two. What if a retreating unit has two choices:

1. Retreating to a friendly controlled, but out of supply space, or
2. Retreating to an enemy controlled, but in supply space.

Which must it choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dauer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe that Ted Racier once answered that (or a similar) question on consimworld. He said that the priority is to end up in supply. So, if the ONLY way of getting back into supply means going through an enemy controlled space first, that would not only be allowable, but required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.