Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: excellent [+] [View All]
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got together on Saturday afternoon for some Heroscape. There ended up being 7 of us. 4 adults and 3 kids. The adults were me, Tim, Mick, and Tom. Tom brought his sons H and L, both age 7. Mick brought his son S who is 10. I was a little nervous about this big a game of Heroscape with the 7 year olds as I thought it would run long (just over 2 hours as it turned out) and player elimination seemed like it could be trouble.
We settled on 400 point armies and let the kids pick first.
S picked Tor-Kul-Na, Sonlen, and Marcu Esenwein
H picked Braxis, Krug, Finn, and
L picked Runa, Niflheim, and Deathwalker 9000.
Tim picked Nakita Agents, Gorillanators, Guilty McCreech, and Major Q10
Mick had 2 swogs, 2 arrow gruts, Mimring, and Krug
Tom had Sentinels of Jandar, MacDirk Warriors, Concan, Warriors of Ashra, and Omicron Snipers.
I had 2 Tagawa Samurai Archers, Ninja of the Northern Wind, Hatomoto Taro, and Isamu.

After playing we realized that several of the armies were over 400 points. The kids selecting first led to them changing a lot while their dads tried to pick. When we finally started it didn't seem to matter too much.

The very first turn revealed our very first problem. We agreed it was every man for himself and that play would go clockwise from the person who won initiative. Well, H won initiative and L immediately began sulking because it meant he would go last.

This was a problem throughout the game with the youngest players - any time someone lined up to attack them the tears would well up and they'd begin explaining why someone else should be attacked instead. At least for L, that was it. With H, things were a little worse. Every time he attacked someone he unleashed some smack talk, often quite a bit and more advanced than I'd have expected for a seven year old. His favorite was to ask "Why does your mom hate you?" and then immediately follow up with a reason like "because you're a loser" or "because you drink too much". I'm pretty patient, but I expect someone who dishes smack when attacking to at least deal with being attacked (without smack) himself.

The game itself went pretty well as long as neither H nor L lost a piece that turn. The initial pass saw S and I move in on his dad, who was trapped between us. L went after Tim and H went after his dad Tom. Tim was an early victim of Runa's Aura and lost his Deathwalker before it ever activated.

The game settled into a protracted battle. Mick was knocked out first, unable to deal with Sonlen and company. The ninjas gutted one unit of arrow gruts and a swog before turning their attentions to Mimring. Mimring returned the favor, activating twice and killing all three in successive rounds.

On the other side, H decided his dad was too hard a target and turned on his brother L (more tears). Tim managed to get his units into the fray and poor L was knocked out of the game amid much smacktalk from his brother. L became his dad's designated die roller. Tim and H moved in on Tom who was largely unhurt. S moved in from the other side, but didn't accomplish much as Tom was waiting for him. I still had 5 Tagawa archers and Hatamoto and began moving them forward.

It turned out to be a bad decision as H charged across the swamp water to have Krug kill him (prompting him to tell me my mom hated me because I'd lost my best guy). He probably should have followed up by killing the archers but his dad talked him into taking Tim and S out first which they almost did. Tim went out, then S, then Tom was left with only Concan and my archers were in position to kill him.

The board was now empty except for Krug and two Tagawa archers. The archers had been beating a retreat though and were about 6 spaces from Krug. Tom took over the movement of Krug as they tried to trap me in a corner. Krug was at 7 dice as he came towards me. He got to 9 and I was trapped against a wall.

Luckily I had started 6 away from him. He moved in but couldn't quite reach. They tried recounting several times, but I got one last set of shots. No hits. Not one. Not a single skull. Tom and both his boys laughed me for rolling 3 dice (I had height) twice and not scoring a single hit. Krug moved in and swung.

They rolled 3 attack dice each. My first archer was hit 6 times. An impressive total and with only 4 defense dice (still had height), I was dead. They used the double attack of course. Again rolled 3 dice each and this time, there were no successes. Not one skull. I rolled my 4 defense dice and got one shield. The Tagawa Samurai Archers have Counterattack and alas, poor Krug was dead.

I resisted the urge to smack talk the trio (although on Monday when I saw just dad, it was definitely on). I did get one pleasant surprise - no tears. Maybe the kids learned something after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, sounds like a nice large battle, 7 people is a big battle to get into. I play a lot of HS and Battleball with my 9 year old Nephew and when he is smack talking I calmly ( which is hard since he is technically getting all up in my face ) ask him if he remembers when I was attacking him and he was about in tears how he would have felt if I was trash talking and doing the victory dance all up and down that table??? It helps a lot, but I know what you are dealing with. His 14 year old sister who is a full on tom boy will swell up in tears over a bad game of HS, or good strategy and die rolling on my part.

Don't Forgot National Heroscape Day - Oct. 18th, 2008

FInd a tourney near you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This was a problem throughout the game with the youngest players - any time someone lined up to attack them the tears would well up and they'd begin explaining why someone else should be attacked instead. At least for L, that was it. With H, things were a little worse. Every time he attacked someone he unleashed some smack talk, often quite a bit and more advanced than I'd have expected for a seven year old. His favorite was to ask "Why does your mom hate you?" and then immediately follow up with a reason like "because you're a loser" or "because you drink too much". I'm pretty patient, but I expect someone who dishes smack when attacking to at least deal with being attacked (without smack) himself.

Damn, those are some hard kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
Hendal wrote:

Don't Forgot National Heroscape Day - Oct. 18th, 2008

FInd a tourney near you!

I'm getting married that day! In a freakin' castle!

I'm confident I can talk my bride into a game of Heroscape on the wedding night.

Matt,

Please take some advice from an old Grognard:

If you even suggest playing HeroScape on the first night of your honeymoon, there is every chance that you will end up playing with yourself...

Regards and congratulations to you both,

Jim O'Neill
Est. 1949
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.