Subject: I Have A $25 Certificate To Amazon.com, What Should I Buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com that I would like to spend on a board game, but I'm not sure what to get. Unfortunately, the prices for games on Amazon are quite expensive, so I'm looking more for a good deal than anything else. I don't necessarily need to find a sub-$25 game, as I can use the $25 to chip away at another game's price. If they had Command & Colors: Ancients on the site (I can't seem to find it anywhere on there) then I would go for it.

I was just thinking of getting the two Power Grid Map Expansions for around that price.

As for games I like, check out my meager collection. I was thinking of putting the $25 toward Railroad Tycoon, but the list price for it on Amazon is something like $65+ gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon doesn't really sell games, they're all by third parties, so you'll get rooked on shipping in addition to the high prices.

Just by a book or video game or something; no point wasting $25 on a game that you could get $20 cheaper somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could pick up Fury of Dracula (second edition) for about $13 w/ shipping with the certificate.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-Fury-Dracula/dp/B...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I Have A $25 Certificate To Amazon.com, What Should I Bu
Buy books. Board games? What are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mkozlows wrote:
Amazon doesn't really sell games, they're all by third parties, so you'll get rooked on shipping in addition to the high prices.

Just by a book or video game or something; no point wasting $25 on a game that you could get $20 cheaper somewhere else.

There are a few games sold directly by Amazon. But they are more expensive than even their 3rd party sellers. I was just checking prices myself on Amazon as I have $44 left in visa rewards burning a hole in my pocket.

Why don't you just use the $25 to buy yourself a nice NE Patriots Super Bowl XLII Champion hat or shirt!

BWAAA HAAA HAAAA HAAAA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
mkozlows wrote:

There are a few games sold directly by Amazon. But they are more expensive than even their 3rd party sellers. I was just checking prices myself on Amazon as I have $44 left in visa rewards burning a hole in my pocket.

Why don't you just use the $25 to buy yourself a nice NE Patriots Super Bowl XLII Champion hat or shirt!

BWAAA HAAA HAAAA HAAAA

That is some cold stuff right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Alright, took a quick look at your games and what we have chatted about before. I have to agree you're probably better off buying something else like a book. Probably $15 to $20 of that gift certificate is just being thrown away because of the savings you could have had if you just bought the games elsewhere. But if you really just want the $5~$10 in savings and use it on a game, I would second...

Fury of Dracula (though you said before it's hard to get any one to play. I don't think this plays well solo, you need at least 2)

Arkham Horror I have suggested to you before. It does play solo.

I know you like Power Grid so I guess the Maps would be OK. Still seems a waste since you can pick these up cheaper by adding them to a larger order from a game company. But if you really want to go this route, try to find them from the same seller to save on shipping.

Other than those, you probably want to look at Days of Wonder, Rio Grande, and maybe the rest of fantasy flight games. here is a list by publisher:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/other/ref=sr_sa_p_4?ie=UTF8&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Minard
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The certificate is a nice bonus to buy something you wouldn't normally buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:

Chiming in with the other poster to clarify that Amazon does sell games. Lots of their games are sold thru third-party merchants, but click below to see the nearly 600 board games that come direct from Amazon, and therefore qualify for free shipping when your order totals $25 or more.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_6_1?ie=UTF8&rs=166225011...

Are they all great titles? No. But at a quick glance, I see Blokus, Carcassonne and several expansions, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Killer Bunnies, San Juan, Bohnanza, Tikal, Elfenland, and others. It's worth a look.

Edited to unbork borked italics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save it for December when they blow out the HeroScape master sets for $12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have picked up Vegas Showdown AND Nexus Ops, shipped, for $25.97 for about 8 months, and you NOW ask for what to do with a $25 gift certificate a month after they stop that extended deal?

You, sir, have no concept of timing. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Books of course!

Wrong answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Play-Game-Design-Fundamentals/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Books! . . . about board games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpsdude wrote:
You could pick up Fury of Dracula (second edition) for about $13 w/ shipping with the certificate.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-Fury-Dracula/dp/B...

Question. When the item says, "Sold by Robinson Gamestore and ships from Amazon Fulfillment," can you use an Amazon gift card? I actually have a Borders gift card, which works at Amazon but only on items sold by Amazon. It was hard to justify buying any of the games that were sold and fulfilled by Amazon, in my opinion. But, if the card works for items like Fury of Dracula, I'd have far more options!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The certificate works for anything sold by Amazon. At least in my experience. The disadvantage is that you will not (typically) get the super saver shipping discount. Your packages will be shipped independently so it may or may not come with the rest of your order. And while I have never had to use it, I imagine returns would be slightly more problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hall
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Cardboard and Wine Podcast
badge
Cardboard and Wine Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
I would purchase Blokus. I think it's on Amazon for around $22. Most retail stores sell it for $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.