Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this vague idea that it might be interesting to use Runebound+Descent to produce a true rpg campaign experience. You know, have the characters be able to move from one big box board to the next, have dungeon crawls represented by Descent, use expansion packs judicially to introduce appropriate flavor for a particular area... Has anyone tried this? It would require a lot of rule tweaking, and I guess it would be fairly expensive. Currently I play Runebound with my two daughters as a sort of fantasy "Game of Life." We also play it co-op (essentially we can act as each other's allies). However, it would be kind of cool to have an extended set of linked adventures and level ups.

If this has been dealt with before, maybe someone could point me in that direction.

-Noogs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your goal is noble. I'd love to have a dungeon crawl element in Runebound, although give how long it takes to crawl a dungeon in an average descent game, I wonder if maybe the two games' focus is so different that one might suffer at the expense of the other.

Still, I imagine there's some way to integrate them into each other.

Does Descent have long-lasting campaign elements at all? I don't remember there being any, but maybe I'm confusing it with a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly FFG's next expansion for Descent, Descent: The Road to Legend, is going to introduce a campaign element. It looks like it might also introduce above ground adventuring. But I'm already happy enough with how Runebound does the above ground stuff -- although I wish there was an expansion deck that introduced quests. I've read that Sands of Al-Kalim introduces quests, but I have no idea if the mechanism can be applied to vanilla Runebound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent already contains some rules for continuing campaigns. You keep the same characters and skills, the characters start with some items, and the OL gets bumps based on their level. We haven't tried it, but it might work.

In some of the later scenarios in any expansion, in particular, it could be interesting to see how things went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.