Amazons» Forums » General

Subject: Great game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is so easy to make, simple to learn, and fun to play.

Most of our games so far have been rather close affairs.

Initially the focus was on trying to trap the opponent pieces, but that strategy has been modified rather quickly.

This game is all about carving off chunks of territory you can hide a piece in to ensure you can stay alive the longest.

I like this game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, me too. I'm considering getting a 10x10 international checkers board and some chess queens (even better would be some sort of super-queen piece from a chess variant set, to distinguish the game a little, but I suppose that's too hard to find).

But one thing that has been worrying me: In rare abstracts, it's always so hard to find players, and it's even worse in games where there is no handicap system. I don't know how to handicap Amazons. Best I can think of is giving the weaker player a couple of free passes at the end of the game, so the stronger has to grab more territory than usual...

Have anyone experimented with handicaps in Amazons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for pieces I used some wargaming minis, Cat warriors and goblins with bows. Works like a charm.

Amazons is an easy game, most games are fairly close even with average players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
Yeah, me too. I'm considering getting a 10x10 international checkers board and some chess queens (even better would be some sort of super-queen piece from a chess variant set, to distinguish the game a little, but I suppose that's too hard to find).

But one thing that has been worrying me: In rare abstracts, it's always so hard to find players, and it's even worse in games where there is no handicap system. I don't know how to handicap Amazons. Best I can think of is giving the weaker player a couple of free passes at the end of the game, so the stronger has to grab more territory than usual...

Have anyone experimented with handicaps in Amazons?

Although there is no handicapping system, you can find a bunch of opponents for PBeM play over at Richard's Server. Check it out at:

http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/

and feel free to issue a couple of challenges to eholzman (my userid).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.