Subject: Combat check vs Vampire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Andersson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a thread somewhere on BGG where one asked what to do if you get an encounter that states "pass a combat check against a monster” and the reply from a BGG member was "draw a random monster and pass a combat check vs it".

Is this true? That you draw a random monster? (And I’m not talking about the cards that states “a monster appear”.) I had an encounter I my last game where it said that I had to pass a combat check vs a Vampire. Should I draw a Vampire chit and pass a combat check vs it then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That was probably my answer that you reference. Everything is a "monster" from the monster cup so how do you know if you pass or not unless you have a specific monster? How do you knowthe modifier? So you need to fight a monster to know those things. If it doesn't state it, draw a random monster. But hte question was about the expansions (I think King in Yellow) which I just ordered this morning. So I am just extrapolating out from what I know of the base game and the KIY rules I read online.

As to your specific question, if it says fight a Vampire, I would select a Vampire and fight it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, I vaguely remember that kind of thing happening. I'm at work, so I don't have the cards to hand for reference.

There are a number of other world encounters with all sorts of colour text: "The statue is falling. Make a speed check to avoid it", "The runes are complicated. Make a lore check to read them", "The vampire people attack you, make a fight check to escape."

I think that last one exists, and I've always taken the vampire reference to be pure colour, and not bothered finding a vampire chit. Note that it's important what the check is though: a fight check shouldn't require the presence of the specific monster chit (you don't add your weapons, they don't subtract their combat ability). A combat check on the other hand, should involve both your weapons, their combat ability, and their toughness. And the only place you're going to get the relevant stats is off a monster chit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
wimble wrote:
A combat check on the other hand, should involve both your weapons, their combat ability, and their toughness. And the only place you're going to get the relevant stats is off a monster chit.

And as he said, it asks for a combat check against a vampire.
So yes, you have to dig through the monster cup for a vampire or have a look at the monster summary, that you find in the file section here at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahah. Found the card. It's a Graveyard encounter:

Quote:
Descending into a dark mausoleum, you discover a vampire rising to feed. You quickly find yourself fighting for your life.
Make a Combat (-2) check. If you pass, you defeat the vampire, gaining 1 Clue token and drawing 1 Unique Item. If you fail, roll a die and lose that much Stamina.

So it specifies the combat modifier, the success rewards and the failure punishment. As such, I'd say that it completely replaces the requirement to actually find a vampire. You don't fight to the death, and you don't get to keep the trophy if you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This encounter has nothing to do with the actual "vampire" monster marker. You are making a combat (-2) check vs some hypothetical vampire. It is a simple pass/fail check just like any other encounter. There is no trophy because there it is not regular combat. The confusing parts are that it lists the name of an existing monster as well as says combat and not fight, which is unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What MillMaster and Wimble say makes sense to me. I just have a minor question to add.

I don't have the game in front of me, but I assume that a Vampire monster chit has some modifiers on it, like Undead, and perhaps Physical Resistance or something like that.

For the reasons stated above, I assume that my combat check in this situation would ignore such attributes found on the Vampire monster card, right? In other words, I would think that I could use any weapon at my disposal at full power for this encounter, even if I might not be able to do the same if I was battling a specific Vampire monster in Arkham.

Am I thinking correctly on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, the encounter is not normal combat, it is just a representation of combat made with a single check. There is no resistance, and your cross doesn't help even though the real vampire is undead, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I thought so, but since the topic was raised, I figured I might as well ask before it comes up in one of my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Andersson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all the help. Yes the card in question is the one you found wimble. But I can't see any restrictions not to use your weapons etc. when it's actually a "combat". If they would've said "fight check" I would understand, but this is the only encounter I know about that states "combat".

So, weapons/spells or no weapons/spells? I agree though that it would be really easy with weapons, spells etc.

ps. Yes Coltsfan76 it was your reply. I couldn't find it however I searched though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Padachan wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the help. Yes the card in question is the one you found wimble. But I can't see any restrictions not to use your weapons etc. when it's actually a "combat". If they would've said "fight check" I would understand, but this is the only encounter I know about that states "combat".

So, weapons/spells or no weapons/spells? I agree though that it would be really easy with weapons, spells etc.

ps. Yes Coltsfan76 it was your reply. I couldn't find it however I searched though.

If the encounter tells you to use a "Combat," then you may use your weapons/spells. If the card also gives you "stats" on the monster - such as the -2 combat value or a [2] toughness, then you have what you need to fight the monster without having to search for the appropriate chit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to revive a long dead thread...

I agree with everything state above. However...

What if you fail the Combat Check. Can you use Warding Statue to cancel the Stamina loss?

Quote:
Any Phase: Discard Warding Statue after failing a Combat check to reduce the monster's combat damage to 0 Stamina. This can also be used to cancel an Ancient One's entire attack for 1 turn.

The condition is obviously met, you failed a Combat check.

Does the die roll really count as the "monster's combat damage"?

I would think that the situation follows the spirit of the Warding Statue item, although it doesn't perfectly line up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunoreturns wrote:
Sorry to revive a long dead thread...

I agree with everything state above. However...

What if you fail the Combat Check. Can you use Warding Statue to cancel the Stamina loss?

Quote:
Any Phase: Discard Warding Statue after failing a Combat check to reduce the monster's combat damage to 0 Stamina. This can also be used to cancel an Ancient One's entire attack for 1 turn.

The condition is obviously met, you failed a Combat check.

Does the die roll really count as the "monster's combat damage"?

I would think that the situation follows the spirit of the Warding Statue item, although it doesn't perfectly line up.
At my opinion, according to the rulebook p.21 Combat Damage is a value at the bottom right of monster token. So, "If you fall, roll a die and lose that much stamina" is not a Monster's Combat Damage, its a result of failed encounter check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.