Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a little unsure about allies and heroes special powers. I’m curious as to how to interpret them as written in the official rules/FAQ/errata, without any house fixes or house rules.

1. Runemaster Baras (“Baras may take 1 exhaustion to let your Hero re-roll his combat dice”).
I’ve been interpreting this as allowing as many re-rolls as I want for my hero, regardless of whether attack/defend, as long as Baras’s stamina doesn’t go over his limit of 4 exhaustions.
Also, assuming the challenge isn’t defeated, in the next combat round I also am allowing Baras’s power.
At first the re-rolls seemed too powerful, until I realized that there would be a max of four in any turn.
Does all this conform to the rules?

2. (somewhat related) Allies and heroes special powers in general.
In the 2nd edition manual, they refer to Card Activation on page 6, but only seem to be referring to Item cards that are “activate-to-use.” I wouldn’t place Hero and Ally special powers in this category since they aren’t Item cards, and they don’t have the “activate-to-use” text and icons. Thus I would interpret them as “always on” abilities.
However, the Runebound FAQs muddy the waters by implying that Hero and Ally powers do have to be activated to be used, and are subject to a one-per-turn limitation. (Page 1 in 2nd edition FAQ, referring to Hero Spiritseeker Mok’s ability; page 3 in 1st edition FAQ, referring to Ally Rune Seeker’s ability.) The FAQ says “remember” in both of these, as if it was covered in the manual, but I haven’t been able to find it in the manual.

Thanks for any feedback on these issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm not reading deeply enough, but I'd guess that despite Baras having that ability, it could only be used once, since such powers can only be activated once per turn unless otherwise stated on the card. You can do multiple activations in a single use, but it must all be at once. Not sure how that would translate to rerolls, but I'd guess they either meant your interpretation, multiple rerolls as long as Baras' stamina holds out, or only getting a single reroll per turn, assuming stamina is available.

I'd say the FAQ, since it includes rules changes, supersedes the old rules, so you just get the once per turn activation, I guess. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with A.R. One use per turn (combat round) but you can pay for it multiple times at that time (unless the power says otherwise). In the case of re-rolls, I suppose you could buy yourself all 4 re-rolls at once, but stop re-rolling as soon as you're happy with the results.

In general, when I have a rule dispute with this game, I opt for the answer that makes it harder for the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! Is this the true manifestation of the most hallowed spaghetti monster! May your parm be fresh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Scary spaghetti monster.

Thanks for the tips.
If all character powers must be activated and are limited to once per turn, there'd have to be some way to keep track of when they get activated, like with turning activate-to-use items upside down. Maybe a counter of some sort, or rotating them 90 degrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I’m a little unsure about allies and heroes special powers. I’m curious as to how to interpret them as written in the official rules/FAQ/errata, without any house fixes or house rules.

1. Runemaster Baras (“Baras may take 1 exhaustion to let your Hero re-roll his combat dice”.
I’ve been interpreting this as allowing as many re-rolls as I want for my hero, regardless of whether attack/defend, as long as Baras’s stamina doesn’t go over his limit of 4 exhaustions.
Also, assuming the challenge isn’t defeated, in the next combat round I also am allowing Baras’s power.
At first the re-rolls seemed too powerful, until I realized that there would be a max of four in any turn.
Does all this conform to the rules?

2. (somewhat related) Allies and heroes special powers in general.
In the 2nd edition manual, they refer to Card Activation on page 6, but only seem to be referring to Item cards that are “activate-to-use.” I wouldn’t place Hero and Ally special powers in this category since they aren’t Item cards, and they don’t have the “activate-to-use” text and icons. Thus I would interpret them as “always on” abilities.
However, the Runebound FAQs muddy the waters by implying that Hero and Ally powers do have to be activated to be used, and are subject to a one-per-turn limitation. (Page 1 in 2nd edition FAQ, referring to Hero Spiritseeker Mok’s ability; page 3 in 1st edition FAQ, referring to Ally Rune Seeker’s ability.) The FAQ says “remember” in both of these, as if it was covered in the manual, but I haven’t been able to find it in the manual.

Thanks for any feedback on these issues.

With respect to your second point, you are reading the wrong FAQ. The section you are referencing is from the 1.2 FAQ of the original Runebound game, not the 2nd edition.

If you are playing the 2nd edition (which I assume) you do not use the 1.2 FAQ only use the 2nd edition FAQ version 2.2.

Regarding your first point, I agree with your view. Hero abilities are always on and can be used as often as you like as long as you fulfill the requirements. This is the way we have played it and it has worked well. My groups opinion is that keeping the abilities at a one time use per turn is too weak. From a thematic stand point, if a character has an ability, they don't forget that ability until the next turn. It's always there for use.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahoodedfigure wrote:
Maybe I'm not reading deeply enough, but I'd guess that despite Baras having that ability, it could only be used once, since such powers can only be activated once per turn unless otherwise stated on the card.

It's funny because it's pretty much the other way around.

Character abilities with costs can be invoked and paid for as often as you want, unless stated otherwise. (The big twist, however, is that some statements are implicit. A "Before Combat" ability can only be used once.)

ahoodedfigure wrote:
You can do multiple activations in a single use, but it must all be at once.

If a "pay X to get Y" ability is explicitly meant to occur once per turn (because it's a "Before Combat" or "once per turn"), then you're only allowed to spend X once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahoodedfigure wrote:
Argh! Is this the true manifestation of the most hallowed spaghetti monster! May your parm be fresh!

All manifestations are true. Some are more true than others.

Ramen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran 0
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
sorry to resurrect an old thread!

With this allies ability is it possible to use it more than 4 times? I.e when he has gone over his exhaustion limit can you start giving him wounds?

Even with just 4 re-rolls he feels a little over powered, given that you are typically looking at roughly 50/50 chance for most of the challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kieran0 wrote:
sorry to resurrect an old thread!

With this allies ability is it possible to use it more than 4 times? I.e when he has gone over his exhaustion limit can you start giving him wounds?

Even with just 4 re-rolls he feels a little over powered, given that you are typically looking at roughly 50/50 chance for most of the challenges.

You can never voluntarily take fatigue over the exhaustion limit, i.e. take a wound instead. So the answer is no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.