Subject: first time bluffing...definitately messed that up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do clear bluff icons mean - you can bluff with them, but if the bluff is called they are just as bad as having the opposite side icon too? i.e. clear = always bad.

I played them as "wild"...and the deck is unbeatable (no shock there!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papalorax wrote:
do clear bluff icons mean - you can bluff with them, but if the bluff is called they are just as bad as having the opposite side icon too? i.e. clear = always bad.

I played them as "wild"...and the deck is unbeatable (no shock there!)

And what in the rules even gave the hint that they might be wild?

Actually this could be improved in the FAQ list. It's in the general questions as part of Q: What is bluffing? and it's implicit in the answer to Q: Which are the real bluff cards? but the list could use a Q: What use is an EMPTY BLUFF icon? just to be absolutely complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably better to say "colorless" as in - they didn't trigger the negative consequence...but they also prevented the positive consequence.

What probably made me think that was the third bullet "In addition, if any of your revealed...you must retreat". I saw the rules split must be there for a reason and somehow I thought that made sense. It would have made more sense to me if it read:
* All your facedown bluff cards are turned faceup
* If any revealed bluff cards do not have a bluff icon in the current element then your opponent attracts one dragon and you must immediately retreat, with the usual consequences (in addition to the already lost dragon)
* If all of your revealed bluff cards have a bluff icon in the current element then you attract one dragon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papalorax wrote:
It's probably better to say "colorless" as in - they didn't trigger the negative consequence...but they also prevented the positive consequence.

I really don't understand that.

Quote:
What probably made me think that was the third bullet "In addition, if any of your revealed...you must retreat".

Let's have that in full.

"In addition, if any of your revealed bluff cards do not have a BLUFF icon in the current element then you must immediately retreat, with the
usual consequences (in addition to the already lost dragon)."

Consider a bluff card with an EMPTY BLUFF icon. Does it have a BLUFF icon in the current element? No - the definition of EMPTY BLUFF icon separates it from the cases of FIRE BLUFF and EARTH BLUFF (though they are meant to be red and green really). So that rule is triggered and you lose a dragon (and in the next bullet, retreat).

Quote:
I saw the rules split must be there for a reason

It is.

Quote:
and somehow I thought that made sense.

No. However

Quote:
It would have made more sense to me if it read:
* All your facedown bluff cards are turned faceup
* If any revealed bluff cards do not have a bluff icon in the current element then your opponent attracts one dragon and you must immediately retreat, with the usual consequences (in addition to the already lost dragon)
* If all of your revealed bluff cards have a bluff icon in the current element then you attract one dragon...

is (give or take some nitpicks like BLUFF icon instead of bluff icon) better in some regards. But it's missing the critical text "These dragons do not count as due to a retreat and are not affected by special power text which modifies the number of dragons attracted when a player retreats.". How do you put that in?

You could put that in both bullets (slightly modified), but repetition really isn't good. You could create another bullet about this, but then this is a different sort of bullet - one with a clarifying rule, not a step in a process. You could put it after all the bullets, but then it's a bit detached from what it refers to.

On balance I think I'd stick with what's there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A blank bluff will always make you retreat and lose a dragon if it gets called. If it counted for either element, it would be way too easy to match element every single time. It wouldn't be much of a bluff then would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor-Davies
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, I read that they were wild cards as well the first (and only) time we played the Buka. This thread makes it all much clearer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christo wrote:
FWIW, I read that they were wild cards as well the first (and only) time we played the Buka. This thread makes it all much clearer!

I hope you'll give them another try now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
A blank bluff will always make you retreat and lose a dragon if it gets called. If it counted for either element, it would be way too easy to match element every single time. It wouldn't be much of a bluff then would it?
i thought you could bluff with any card (no icon needed). Don't ask me why.

It wan't until after that is was obvious that deck would never lose if played my way. I posted the tread because i didn't see one and figured someone else might have made a mistake too.

the rules are clear - it was my preconceived ideas that messed it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put this, and a few other odds and ends, into an updated version of the FAQ list, at the usual place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.