Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Pirate's Cove» Forums » Variants

Subject: Some options for a 6th player, including the "Rogue Pirate" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
OPTION 1 - NORMAL 6TH PLAYER

Unfortunately Days of Wonder did not provide the components required for a 6th player for Pirate's Cove. So, as user "isbert" pointed out in this old thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/6566, you need to go to some effort to get some bits and pieces together if you desire to add that 6th player.

OPTION 2 - THE LEGENDARY PIRATE

However I got to thinking that, for those who don't want to go to the trouble of acquiring these accessories, another option would be to allow the 6th player to control the Legendary Pirate instead. During the Navigation phase, they could secretly choose their island destination for that turn by using a die to indicate the number that corresponds to the island to which they wish to sail. They would then engage in combat with any other players who happened to end up there, but, just as with the normal Legendary Pirate rules, they would not be able to take any further actions after combat. Of course, the usual restrictions would apply to the Legendary Pirate player (they cannot choose Pirate's Cove as a destination), and they would have to sail to Treasure Island on the final turn of the game. Sure, some people might not find this variant nearly as interesting since the only real decision you make each turn is which island to raid (even the way combat is carried out is dictated by the Legendary Pirate card), but I just thought I'd put it out there as an option.

OPTION 3 - THE ROGUE PIRATE

A third possibility that I've been turning over in my head would be to have that 6th player take control of a normal ship and act as the Rogue Pirate. It would require obtaining another ship mat and the other components for the extra player, however that person would be acting like the Legendary Pirate in that their main goal would not be to collect treasure and fame, but instead would be to wreak havoc amongst the other players by seeking out and attacking them. They would begin the game with their strength markers 2 levels above that of the other players (7 Sail, 3 Crew, 3 Cannons, 7 Hull). Each turn throughout the entire game they would navigate to the island destination of their choice, just like all the other players. They would fight any players they encountered there (no combat on Pirate's Cove, as usual), and if victorious, would be allowed to plunder only the doubloons and upgrade the corresponding section of their ship, if applicable. They would not be able to collect fame points, treasure, or cards. On Tavern Island, they would collect 3 gold instead of purchasing cards. If they lost the battle or ran away, they would have to go to Pirate's Cove to repair their ship, as normal. Their goal would be to simply harass the other players as much as possible.

Does this sound like it might work? My thought would be to use the Rogue Pirate in conjunction with the Legendary Pirate, but do you think this would be too much for the other players? If this variant is used along with the Legendary Pirate, I certainly would not use it with fewer than 6 players. The other disadvantage would be that there are no victory conditions for the Rogue Pirate. I was thinking of awarding them fame points for each player they successfully defeated in combat or, alternatively, allowing them to claim victory if they were able to prevent all the other players from surpassing a specific number on the fame track. But that would require a lot of play-testing to find the right balance! Any further thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some options for a 6th player, including the "Rogue Pira
I like the Rogue Pirate idea, but you need to find a way for that player to Win to give them more of a goal. Maybe something like a point for each unit of damage they inflict on other players or something. That would need to be tested to see if it is enough points to make them competitive with the other players or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some options for a 6th player, including the
Quote:
I like the Rogue Pirate idea, but you need to find a way for that player to Win to give them more of a goal. Maybe something like a point for each unit of damage they inflict on other players or something. That would need to be tested to see if it is enough points to make them competitive with the other players or not.

Thank you for your thoughts! I agree that it would be best to give the Rogue Pirate either a winning condition or a way to collect fame points, and I like your idea regarding a point for each unit of damage they inflict. One thing I liked about my own idea of a victory condition of preventing all other players from achieving a certain number of fame points is it acts as a balancing mechanism, since it encourages the Rogue Pirate to target the player who is currently in the lead (although, with 6 islands to choose from, it would be hard to guess which one they were heading for on each turn!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.