David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody seems to have reported this yet, read about it here:
http://www.cthulhuccg.com/pdf/CoC_LCG_NickLetter.pdf

It's basically an extension of their current Asylum Packs release mechanism, and there will also be a new base set arriving late October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Blackwolf
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which, I think, is one of the things Fantasy Flight did with this game (and the Game of Thrones) fabulously right and fantastically Capital. When the Call of Cthulhu CCG struggeled for survival the folks at FF decided to give it a second chance in a drastically changed format, which has proven as a right decision.
It basically means the game is no more a "collectable" card game in terms of random packaging, but closer to the "fixed" board and card games sporting numerous expansions. How many times does one hear "not another collectable card game" before the thing is given even as much as a second glance. I know of many cases where people really like the game, but feel somewhat cheated on the whole collectable aspect. The massive card pool from previous sets of CoC promises a certain degree in fluidity of meta for quite some time to come and provides material for the collectors. For those of us who like to know what we get for our money, there will be the packages of fixed content and accessible prices. Some argue that the Asylum Packs are set to come out too often (monthly), but If pulled off right, I see this as the next big thing of the CCG field and if I'm correct, quite an influential one for certain other games out there.
I applaud Fantasy Fligh for what they did, making them once again my favourite player in the field of industry giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
/agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Blackwolf
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly about a Game of Thrones LCG, but a neat preview of the Call of CThulhu core box as well, check this unterview; http://www.tcgplayer.com/db/game_review.asp?AID=2337&PID=336...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why they are changing the backs of the CoC cards. I'll have to actually get card sleeves if I want to combine them. Ah well, I am really looking forward to this new format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Blackwolf
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, where did you get the info on changed card backs?
Otherwise check here for the first part of more in-depth official info on the changed format http://www.cthulhuccg.com/lcg-expose-1.html
It is said the board and gaming pieces will do the job of resource management and success tokens at the stories; not exactely a boardgame, but as such not essential to play the game; in a word, things are to remain essentially the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they aren't changing card backs, and see no reason for them to do so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are changing the card backs, which surprises me. Also going with white bordered cards.

http://www.cthulhulcg.com/lcg-expose-2.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Blackwolf
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been having lively debates about the issue on the official CoC forum. Just a day ago or so we've been promised some official explenations and comments (apart from weak corporate statements on how all these will help the game take a new start with new players, that have been so far published on the CoC website).
The white boarders and to some extent new card backs have caused quite a stir, to be sure. I personally think the old backs look much better and see no need to change them beyond changing the "collectible" for "living". As for the white borders, I agree with those who say that the new borders don't hold well against the dark theme and artwork.

You're warmly wellcome to join us on the CoC forum (on the Fantasy Flight Games site) and state your opinion; there are some who believe these are deciding times for the future of Call of Cthulhu LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an 'official response' just posted on the boards concerning the change to white borders (which bothers me much more for Cthulhu than Thrones)...

Quote:
Hello All,

It's time to put this to bed. FFG will produce both the AGOT and CTHULHU card games with white borders in their new LCG format going forward. We aim to make these games as great as they can possibly be, and I think that we have proved our stamina, mettle, and loyalty to these games. I question the wisdom of grating us to the point where we question whether the fight is worth it (Although many suggestions, including Hastur's, have been sensible and well thought out.)

I don't know where all this entitlement comes from. I'm sorry if a player doesn't like the choice, I'm happy if a player likes it. For the complaints, we have noted them, appreciated the feedback, thought about it, but we're not returning the games to black borders. We don't have a service contract on our games, nor does a voting ballot come with them. We aim to make great games, and we hope players like them. If you don't, we regret to see a player go, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

If this border change actually is sufficient to make you leave the the game, then ciao, baby. You're probably on the way out anyway. Trying to somehow bully us, call us names, whine, or claim the right to demand anything of FFG (other than properly produced packaging and components), is misguided at best.

We always, and hope that we have continually proven, listen to concerns, issues, and opinions from our customers. When these go overboard, however, I'll be sure to tell.

I'm telling now.

Brutal and callous: yes
The facts: yes
Care about the future of the game: yes.

"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

Christian T. Petersen
CEO
FFG

Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Blue Moon, now this... nice move from FFG.
Always liked the theme, but now this makes me want to get into the game.

After reading that interview what I wonder is:
1) Will asylum packs be kept in print? I mean, at a pace of one a month, that's a large amount of items to keep in stock. Still, one can hope.

2) Is the statement of only 10$ a month to have the options of mr suitcase valid? Assuming a 4 card limit (I have no idea, but that seems to be the norm) that would be 40$ a month, with 8 extra copies of the "common" cards you can't use. Personally anyway.

3) Should I look at getting the asylum packs that are out right now to complement the upcoming LCG core set? (Tie this back to question #1)

At the very least, I'll probably get a core set and treat it as I do Blue Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
First Blue Moon, now this... nice move from FFG.
Always liked the theme, but now this makes me want to get into the game.

After reading that interview what I wonder is:
1) Will asylum packs be kept in print? I mean, at a pace of one a month, that's a large amount of items to keep in stock. Still, one can hope.

2) Is the statement of only 10$ a month to have the options of mr suitcase valid? Assuming a 4 card limit (I have no idea, but that seems to be the norm) that would be 40$ a month, with 8 extra copies of the "common" cards you can't use. Personally anyway.

3) Should I look at getting the asylum packs that are out right now to complement the upcoming LCG core set? (Tie this back to question #1)

At the very least, I'll probably get a core set and treat it as I do Blue Moon.

1. I don't believe so. As of current, the Asylum packs have a fixed printing and once they're gone, they're gone. That said, with this new model they may up the printing so it's more readily available. But someone who gets into the game with the Core Set should easily be able to get their hands on some of the current Asylum Packs.

2. The current Asylum Packs have 3 copies of 10 different cards and 1 copy of 10 different cards. So yes, with a 4 card limit (as is in the case of the CoC LCG), you would have to spend $40 a month. What I would really like to see happen is to change the distribution to 2 copies of 20 different cards each, thereby cutting everyone's costs in half. But who knows if that'll happen. cool

3. If you think you're going to get into the game, buy whatever you want to purchase now; it'll all be compatible for league and tournament play (save a few overpowered cards which have been banned for both). I would recommend getting a Premium Starter and some Asylum packs currently in print for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This LCG idea is fantastic. I have no idea if it will work for FFG, but I'm sure there are a lot of people like me out there who feel there's too much nasty baggage with CCGs, but like the other things they bring to the table (intricate mechanics, huge variety, short playing times, etc.). I'm not sold on the 10x3, 10x1 packs so much, as just personally I prefer highlander, but having just two extras of a given card isn't a huge deal. I shudder to think how many useless, redundant commons are littering landfills....

Anyway, I'd held off for a long time on both this and the GOT CCG, but I'll be jumping in now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zambo wrote:
3. If you think you're going to get into the game, buy whatever you want to purchase now; it'll all be compatible for league and tournament play (save a few overpowered cards which have been banned for both). I would recommend getting a Premium Starter and some Asylum packs currently in print for variety.

But won't the cards be incompatible? I thought everything right now (a) is black-bordered, and (b) has the "old" card back. The LCG will be different on both counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are compatible if sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, they are changing the rule to 3 copies of a card max.
http://www.cthulhulcg.com/three-for-three.html

Kudos FFG
I have no doubt they are going to adjust this format as we go along (to raise or lower the money drain, who knows?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So help me here - I haven't played the game yet but want to, and I posted my own thread a while ago but I'm still not 100%

The first "starter" set of the LCG comes out in October. So it's not out yet. BUT... I can buy any of the current starter packs or boosters, and all THESE cards can be used, and will still be legal to play when creating a Call of Cthulhu Living Card Game match, even though its switching to set cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've trawled through all the links but nowhere does it state what an LCG contains? All I've seen is a pic of a square Blue Moon City sized box...

Chapter packs yes: 20 cards for $10. Monthly. Seems to be packaged ala Runebound expansion packs.

Can someone tell me what an LCG will contain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
I've trawled through all the links but nowhere does it state what an LCG contains? All I've seen is a pic of a square Blue Moon City sized box...

Chapter packs yes: 20 cards for $10. Monthly. Seems to be packaged ala Runebound expansion packs.

Can someone tell me what an LCG will contain?

The Starter Set will contain 165 cards that you can combine in 21 different ways to make all sorts of decks. I don't think that the Call of Cthulhu LCG Core Set is multiplayer, but that gives you lots of options right there, out of the box. In addition, there's a story deck, plastic figures and some sort of way to keep track of successes at stories.

The Chapter Packs are 40 cards each, for $10. There are 20 unique cards (I believe that there are 3 copies of 10 of the cards, and 1 copy of the other 10 in each one, in line with the 3 copies of a card limit).

Since all of the items are now fixed in the packaging, there's no more collectibility. Just buy whatever packs you want to tweak your decks accordingly.

Hopefully this helps...

-Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Steve. Seems like the Cthulhu LCG starter will be different from the AGOT LCG starter (which is multiplayer straight out of the box with 4 decks totalling 240 cards and other assorted bits).

I do hope that a Cthulhu starter would contain the decks required to play at least a two-player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This statement:
Quote:
Core Sets are completely self-contained, with multiple decks included, providing a great game experience right out of the box.

from their website makes me think it does support two-player games right out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.