Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick rundown on some recent Federation Commander-related releases. All prices are U.S. MSRPs.

Captain's Log 36, the main Star Fleet Universe magazine, is recently out and has a FC section. ($18.95)

Border Box 6 has nine battleship miniatures plus a starbase. ($99.95)

Line of Battle has nine double-sized battleship cards. The Federation (Mars class), Seltorians (Battlewagon), Klingons (B10), Romulans (King Condor), Gorns (Godzilla), Kzinti (Supercat), Neo-Tholians (Warhammer), Hydrans (Monarch), and Lyrans (Cave Lion) are represented. The item also has three battleship scenarios. ($19.95)

(Forgot a few things...)
Squadron Box 15, 16, 17 are being released on February 18. Each retails for $44.95. Each features five ships--

Box 15: Fed heavy and light dreadnoughts, Kzinti DNH and DNL, Neo-Tholian DNH
Box 16: Klingon C5, Lyran heavy and light dreadnoughts, Hydran Liege and Regent
Box 17: Romulan heavy and light dreadnoughts, Gorn DNH and DNL, Romulan KC9R

Federation Commander Briefing #1 is also being released on February 18. It's sorta like Captain's Log but just for FC, with new scenarios and ships and a new master ship chart, plus guidelines for scenario writers. ($12.95)

For those interested in the Prime Directive RPG: the D20 Modern-based version of the main PD rulebook is due out on March 17, while the d20 and GURPS versions of the Federation sourcebook are due out in spring and summer 2008, respectively. All of these list for $24.95.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Line of Battle has nine double-sized battleship cards. The Federation (Mars class), Seltorians (Battlewagon), Klingons (B10), Romulans (King Condor), Gorns (Godzilla), Kzinti (Supercat), Neo-Tholians (Warhammer), Hydrans (Monarch), and Lyrans (Cave Lion) are represented. The item also has three battleship scenarios. ($19.95)

This seems to be a somewhat different description than 'Federation Commander: Battleships Attack'. Are these different products? Or a re-do of the other one? Or...something else?

I'm unclear how these two fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always confused by their product line. $19 for 9 new SSDs and 3 scenarios seems a little steep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Line of Battle isn't a replacement for Battleships Attack. LoB has extra ship cards as a supplement. (It also has an MSRP $10 lower than BA.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also added some information about Federation Commander: Distant Kingdoms, which is also coming out in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Line of Battle isn't a replacement for Battleships Attack. LoB has extra ship cards as a supplement. (It also has an MSRP $10 lower than BA.)

So it's...what...extra ship cards for ships already in 'Battleship Attack' (and why would you want more than 1 battleship in a battle??)? Or new sheets for ships or variants not in that product?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
jpat wrote:

So it's...what...extra ship cards for ships already in 'Battleship Attack' (and why would you want more than 1 battleship in a battle??)? Or new sheets for ships or variants not in that product?

This is about the best I can do here.

Battleships Attack has 7 ships, 1 starbase.
Line of Battle has the same 7 ships (i.e., duplicates), no starbase, and 2 ships (Hydran Monarch, Lyran Cave Lion) not in BA but that will be in Distant Kingdoms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why would you want more than one battleship in a battle?"

As a 25 year veteran of SFB, I can honestly say that I wouldn't want two battleships in the same battle... Except the scenario Sibling Rivalry, which has two B-10's and is a blast to play.

Federation Commander is a different animal (however closely related to SFB it is) and as such, has a vastly different audience. Just in the small town I'm located in, I've taught about 2 dozen people to play the game and the number of them that want more and bigger ships is totally unbelievable. Line of Battle was released simply to fulfill a repeated request for extra battleship ship cards.

Yes, they are duplicates of the cards in Battleships Attack! (except for the Lyran and Hydran cards - which will be released in Distant Kingdoms.
No, you do not need to purchase this product if you have no desire for the extra battleship cards, and many of us will not - but there is a huge market for this product and buying this is cheaper than purchasing each of the cards separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these folks playing in Squadron Scale or Fleet Scale? I can easily see multiple battleships in play at Fleet Scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.