Subject: Not a social game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just going through tagging a heap of games I've played and wondering how to succinctly tag this game as "non social".

Although multiple people play the game at the same time, you're not really interacting with them. Unlike some other rummy variants, there's no way to work out what the other players have or are planning on doing. It's basically a puzzle where you're trying to solve it before anyone else.
It's like everyone has a copy of the same crossword you're racing to finish.

"Non social" isn't quite apt for what I mean because you can have a great time chatting with other players at the same time, but you're not interacting through the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Franke
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to play Rummikub, in fact it's my hands down favorite game period, that said I play with my generally non-gaming wife and friends occasionally, almost always over conversation and beer, no time limit on turns. We play the Sabra rules so I can sometimes figure out what people are holding on their racks. I'm not super competitive so I can relax and have fun. Yes it does take a lot longer to play, but since no one is interested in a Rummikub meet up in my area, it's the best I can do. The rest of my fix comes from the time I spend playing against the computer or the hand held electronic game.
Cheers,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOTANSON wrote:
...that said I play with my generally non-gaming wife...

Ahhh interesting ... when I was introduced to this game two months ago it was via a couple, one of whom declared she "didn't play games" but fiercely loved playing Rummikub. She's also devoted to solving puzzles. Perhaps this game can appeal to people who aren't so keen on the "personal interaction" that is present in most other games. Wish I could think of a better term for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Franke
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After giving your initial post another thought I would have to agree that Rummikub may be seen to be an "unsocial" game, when compared to say Catan or Carcassone (neither of which I own....yet, so excuse me if my reference is a bit of a stretch). I'd say the interaction between the players would be as much as you would find playing Gin Rummy or Poker, though there is some via the manipulation of the tiles. But no working together or trading per say unless one wants to play the international rules variation with partners, which I don't know or want to know. I'll stick with Sabra thanks. Love that game though!

Cheers,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get a Rummikub set of my own (highly likely), I'll check out the Sabra variant.

Being "unsocial" isn't something bad, it's just a mark of difference from other games. I guess it's like a race

In Poker, players give an indication of how good their hand is, and you modify your playing accordingly, but I don't think that happens in Rummikub.

I don't quite recall gin rummy (drat!) but in Canasta, which is of course related to both gin and Rummikub, you place cards on the tables in melds belonging to you (or your partnership), so the other players can see what you're trying to do and deliberately stop you from getting cards that might have been useful for you.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stanley
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
succinctly tag this game as "non social".

Better than being Anti-Social shake

I guess the game is tagged as non social because of the manner in which it is often played.

In a similar manner to dominoes and Mahjong, RK is often played very competitively [even outside tournaments] and in those cases it can hardly be called a social game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iandstanley wrote:
I guess the game is tagged as non social because of the manner in which it is often played.

In a similar manner to dominoes and Mahjong, RK is often played very competitively [even outside tournaments] and in those cases it can hardly be called a social game.

(Wow, didn't realise I'd been on this site for over a year!!)

Actually my pondering was based on my own attempts to categorise the game with some tag that summed up the "non interaction" between players in this sort of game. Terms like "non-social", "race" , "puzzle" or even "non interactive" didn't really seem to fit.

I didn't mean "non social" in a negative "anti-social" sense - I'm not talking how serious people get when they're playing the game "very competitively". What I'm saying is that players can't deliberately do anything to hinder (or help!) specific other players. Unlike some related games like Canasta, you never see what new tiles people are picking up, so you don't know what they're trying to get, and have no way of working out what's in their hand.

An imaginary one-player computer version of Rummikub could just randomise the current melds on the table for each turn the player takes. The other players are irrelevant, except as a race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.