Subject: The making of a small games convention rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after a few days of recovering I'm pleased that EGG 2008 went off fairly smoothly. Unlike most conventions that are bandied about on BGG, EGG is neither completely invitational nor a completely open event. Due to space and costs constraints I was hoping for about 50 attendees. I think we got pretty close on Sat. I had about 30 people pre-register for all 3 days. I had a few pay at the door attendees and about 10 one day only folk.
This number of people gave us plenty of space in the game room for games and playing. I don't think anyone felt overcrowded.
The location I think is fairly nice, right off the highway into Eugene and several nearby restaurants within walking distance as well as a grocery store. The main bummer, no outside food or drink allowed in the conference room. I did order coffee for the mornings and on Sat had a fruit platter as well. With all the fast food I thought it might be nice to have something psuedo-healthy!
The people that came are a great crowd with some friends and fellow gamers that came from as far away as LA and Seattle. Feb is probably not an ideal time to entice people to Oregon, but unfortunately, fits best into the year's time schedule of major gaming events. Still there is a fab local crowd which played games with enthusiasm all weekend. I was lucky to have a couple of great local sponsors Funagain Games from Ashland and Sunriver Games from Portland. They helped provide some prize support. We had a wide range of games brought and played, from classics like Titan and Big Boss to hot off the presses arrivals like Kingsburg and Agricola. There was even some Werewolf going on. Sadly my contract for the room meant we had to finish up around midnight each night.
I did manage to find time to play 18 games over the course of the weekend. I definitely enjoyed Agricola especialy with the extra decks. The family game is only good for learning the order of play. I look forward to getting my preorded copy with the animeeples. Placed Race for the Galaxy a few times which is quickly becoming a favorite. Also tried In the Year of the Dragon which played well with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your mini con. Sounds like you had fun. Any pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to post a link for pics once I get the ok from some of the folks with prototypes there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.