Subject: questions on money/gold bag tile usage..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can you pick up a money bag tile even though you aren't able to use it? In other words, you do not have any tiles that belong to any of the tile sets of other players.

I recall reading this somewhere, but I can't remember the link or reference. It said that you CAN do this, but the money tile gets discarded without any effect since it can't be used legitimately.

I can see some ppl doing this to keep money bags out of reach from other players who would benefit from it

2) This will likely be determined by the previous question's answer, but can you pick up a money bag tile and simply choose NOT to use it even though you legitimately can?

If so, I'm sure it would just get discarded immediately

Same strategy as above, but you may also want to do this to keep a player from winning the game right away or from winning one turn sooner

3) Can you use the money bag on yourself? In other words, use it to get rid of one gold "for free"?

I'm guessing NO. I'm thinking the manual would've mentioned explicitly that this could be done if it were possible rather than implicitly stating or otherwise that we couldN'T.

your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) from my understanding of the rules there's nothing stopping you from doing that, but since it does you no good why would you?

2) my feeling is you can't do this. as far as strategy, if the money bag won't net you more than the 1 coin the seller gets (either in giving you more points for a set, or costing the seller more points for losing a set) then you shouldn't be taking the tile. again why would you want to just discard a tile for 0 points when you can take another tile and use it towards a set?

3) the rules say 'another player' so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
1) from my understanding of the rules there's nothing stopping you from doing that, but since it does you no good why would you?

2) my feeling is you can't do this. as far as strategy, if the money bag won't net you more than the 1 coin the seller gets (either in giving you more points for a set, or costing the seller more points for losing a set) then you shouldn't be taking the tile. again why would you want to just discard a tile for 0 points when you can take another tile and use it towards a set?

3) the rules say 'another player' so no.

By keeping a player from using the money bag, he only gets 4 points instead of instead of 8 points since he would've used it to snatch someone else's burial mask for the most of that tile in the set

Reread #3, and yeah, it does state "another player" so that's clear and cut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

By keeping a player from using the money bag, he only gets 4 points instead of instead of 8 points since he would've used it to snatch someone else's burial mask for the most of that tile in the set

i don't see how this would work, if the set hasn't been scored yet then there's at least 1 more tile for that set available, so even if you take the money bag away from them, what's stopping them from just taking the remaining tile? or another money bag? and if you have no tiles in that set, shouldn't it be up to the player(s) who do have tiles in that set to play police?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They COULD go straight for the last one in the set, but that may cause unwilling tradeoffs to be made, like passing up tiles from another set they may score higher points as well. By taking and removing the (unused) money bag, it gives them one less set to score.

Another money bag may either be too far away to make be worth it or there may not be any money bags left.

Of course, this wouldn't be applicable if #1 isn't a valid move, but it gives you, the person withOUT a tile of such a set some say in how the tile distribution will work out, which has a direct effect on scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.