Popular Tags: [View All]
Roel
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed Review

Looks
This game looks great. The board is looks simple but colorful you can see every single country by its color. There are no weird ‘scratches’ on the board that mean 'forest' etc. The game board is impressive so every time a friend walks by it took its attention right away. When all the block are in the field you never get the feeling it’s overwhelming, everything is clear and the units are easy to separate.
When we go further than only looking, you feel it’s made of great materials. The blocks are great the stickers stick very well the paintings on the board or the counters are perfect. The quality of the counters are also great, it looks like they made of plastic (or they are made of hard paper) they are thick, easy to take of the board and also they are colorful and greatly designed.

Rules
There are many of them, they are sometimes overwhelming(for a Dutchmen) but when I got many help from BGG it’s clear and very exciting to play. I didn’t play with the optional rules and extra rules, because this is hard enough for me now. But I know when I getting familiar with these rules I definitely going to try those optional ones.

Gameplay
Now the most important part of the game(review). Europe Engulfed plays good, very good. With the long playtime (but with the option to save the game it’s not that hard) it is great to play for 3 hours each time. It’s realistic, it’s hard(for beginners) but it’s exciting to play!
The block are a very important aspect because they create a fog of war, you never know exactly which units are where. This is a factor in the game that keep this game alive, it’s different than most other games. Every game is different. I’ve played some games now, and I must say that every game felled en played different. To give some explanation, in one game the Germans had big-time difficulties to conquer Poland so they suffered many losses, the next game the Germans conquered Poland AND France in no-time! This keeps the game fun, you never know what to expect.
With the different strategies and tactics you can play a game which you like, aggressive or defensive it’s all yours.

Overall
The game is long but good, it’s not a fast paced game like others I’ve played but the character, the design, the rules etc. just let me want to play this game more and more. There is not 1 day that don’t let me think of it. This is also the reason I bought Asia Engulfed!

Sorry for the strange and maybe bad English, but that’s because I’m not a native English speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
This is not meant to be a critism or negative response, but regarding playing time, why is that such a big deal when it comes to Euro games? I'm just curious is all. Personally, I don't understand why it's important how long a game takes to play, as long as everyone is having a good time.

Nearly every review of a Euro game (or their USA counterparts) includes a comment on playing time. Could someone explain to this American why playing time is so important when it comes to games, especially Euros?

: )

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playtime is important to people who don't have the opportunity to let a game stay set up inbetween sessions, or when they have limited game time available. There is also the factor, that if you have to travel to game face-to-face, you'd like to get in a full game, or perhaps two shorter ones in a session.

Of course, it is mostly a matter of personal preference. I do think it a valid point to bring up in a review, though. Also, some games may a bit long for what fun et al they provide, i.e. they tend to drag on.

To Roel: Nice review! Good to see you got over the initial rules hurdles.

/kgm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
KGM,
Good points! I hadn't thought of the face to face factor. I also agree it's important to have a basic idea of how long a game will take on average to complete, and should be mentioned in a review. Thanks for the enlightenment! Also, a nice review Roel! I gave you a thumbs up btw!
MEG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you veyr much This satisfying me. Those thumbs ^^

But the playing time is something not to forget, i dont have the oppertunity to let a game uncovered on the table for the weekend, but with the savesheet (downloaded here on BGG) it's great. Never tried it before but it is something i gonna test very soon.

And when i got many time to play a game, the oppenent does need it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
patriot1963 wrote:
This is not meant to be a critism or negative response, but regarding playing time, why is that such a big deal when it comes to Euro games? I'm just curious is all. Personally, I don't understand why it's important how long a game takes to play, as long as everyone is having a good time.

Nearly every review of a Euro game (or their USA counterparts) includes a comment on playing time. Could someone explain to this American why playing time is so important when it comes to games, especially Euros?

: )

Mark

Hi all,

Playing time is a big thing. With groups (3 or more) I often play games that takes max 3 hours (some exceptions of course). Playing time is a big point when I am with friends and we discuss which game to play.

Most people dont want to pay attention or concentrate for a longer game, mostly because a longer game (more often then not) is usually a more complex game.

If we do play longer games then we make an appointment so we know which game we will play, we can prepare the game and we all know whats coming.

But when we just go to friends we will see there what game we would like to play (we got so many choices luckily).

To OP. Welcome fellow Dutchman, nice review. I dont have the game yet but I have ordered it. I think I will have the exact view of the game like you.

Greets Aron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Aron, i dont know where you from (in Holland)?

You joined our Guild already?

Kind regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not joined any guild. Im from Utrecht.

Greetz Aron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as play time goes, most Euros fit the 1-3 hour mark. Part of the "zen" of Euros is that they fit a lot of depth into a short rule-set and quick play time. Its very minimalist. Hence, war-curious geeks want to know what they are getting themselves into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Time is as much of a factor as anything else game-aspect related. That is, if you have lotsa time, then it's not a factor. Just like some people don't care as much about how evocative the theme for a game is. For me, the time commitment element of Europe Engulfed is the main reason why it's stayed in my closet unplayed for the last few years, so I think it's an important thing to mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing time is huge! When you gaming group or opponents have other committments like jobs and families it's hard to get together for games that take too long. Guess I'll just have to dump the wife, kids, and jobs...hahaha....so kidding.....*_*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harding
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
EE is actually one of the shorter whole-of-european-WW2 wargames. The scale of the subject is simply so large that it takes time to do it justice. EE takes one long, focused day or a more leisurely weekend for the full campaign between experienced players. Wargameroom's implementation is faster once you know the interface well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roel,

one year later.
do you still enjoy the game?

I'm very much tempted to buy this.

Just checking BGG for more information on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.