Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bardos wrote:
I have made a mold but I'm unable to find a good material for the miniatures

Depending on what kind of mold it is, you can use pewter, lead or "Green Stuff"

All three are pretty toxic, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with "Green Stuff"

Green stuff is this "putty" like adhesive.
You should be able to get it where Warhammer miniatures are sold and some home supply stores.

It comes in either a yellow blue clay ribbon or blue white clay ribbon.

I don't recall off the top of my head what it is actually called, but if you have a good hobby store they should know what you are talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Green stuff is what bardos is looking for. As stated, he already has made a mold.

For miniatures (figures), I really don't know what you could use, but if it's for decors, you can check http://www.hirstart.com. Dental plaster seems like a good option, but you could use resin as well.

Maybe try the resins for the miniatures, but I really don't know if it will work fine or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casting from molds that you have purchased the rights to (ie HirstArts) is perfectly legal, and fun.
Casting from molds you have made, of originals you have created, is also perfectly legal, and fun.

In either case, the type of material you use to make your mold will be very important in what casting material you can use. Some molds will deteriorate rapidly with some casting materials (not all RTVs hold up well to resin, for example).

Casting materials generally include plasters, resins, and metals.

Casting from molds you have made of other people's miniatures is not really legal (and GW is a company that will pursue legal action against you if you are doing this), and people are not going to give you advice on how to break the law on a public forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Casting from molds you have made of other people's miniatures is not really legal (and GW is a company that will pursue legal action against you if you are doing this), and people are not going to give you advice on how to break the law on a public forum.
Take a Valium, dude!

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bardos wrote:
I have made a mold but I'm unable to find a good material for the miniatures
This might be a better question for the DIY Forum (this is good too). Here's a useful group with an extensive FAQ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1listSculpting/. Anyway, what's the mold made of? What are you molding, what sort of mold is it (figure, ship, two-part, etc.)? Michael's craft stores sell an 11$ binary resin kit to get started with (and their weekly newspaper circular has a 40% off coupon if you can find one), so this is a good option to experiment with; remember to coat the inside with petroleum jelly (or their quick release spray) so it comes out nondestructively.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
Take a Valium, dude!

Gorno

Respect other people's property, dude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray F
msg tools
Perhaps I'm missing something, but when did the OP (or anyone else in this thread for that matter) even suggest that they were creating molds from other people's minis (to warrant a warning that it is illegal)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
He deleted the post. He's cloning GW minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, it IS the OP's property. As long as he doesn't sell the duplicates he can do whatever he likes. Of course I don't know what American law says about this but anything else would be ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
To be fair, it IS the OP's property. As long as he doesn't sell the duplicates he can do whatever he likes. Of course I don't know what American law says about this but anything else would be ridiculous.
It's a copyright infringement, like photocopying artwork, so technically unlawful and actionable (basis for a lawsuit). How Games Workshop would prove in court that he'd done it, much less establish the liability of anyone who "abettted" him is extremely problematic (I can't quite picture the County Sheriff kicking down his door to seize his minis for metalurgic testing and expert comparison). On the other hand, if I recall correctly, copyright holders are obliged to make at least a token effort to defend against infringements they become aware of, lest the infringement become customary, enjoying implicit permission, so even if the copyright holder could care less that someone is making a few crappy knock-offs for their own use and sure isn't going to spend the time and money to sue, they have to make some effort to get them to stop, or better yet, maintain plausable ignorance of infringements that aren't of any practical significance, i.e, "Don't ask, don't tell."

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned earlier, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1listSculpting/ is a great resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
guzerat wrote:
It's a copyright infringement, like photocopying artwork, so technically unlawful and actionable (basis for a lawsuit). How Games Workshop would prove in court that he'd done it, much less establish the liability of anyone who "abettted" him is extremely problematic (I can't quite picture the County Sheriff kicking down his door to seize his minis for metalurgic testing and expert comparison). On the other hand, if I recall correctly, copyright holders are obliged to make at least a token effort to defend against infringements they become aware of, lest the infringement become customary, enjoying implicit permission, so even if the copyright holder could care less that someone is making a few crappy knock-offs for their own use and sure isn't going to spend the time and money to sue, they have to make some effort to get them to stop, or better yet, maintain plausable ignorance of infringements that aren't of any practical significance, i.e, "Don't ask, don't tell."

Gorno

If it's true that you can't photocopy artwork for private use in the US, I feel sorry for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
If it's true that you can't photocopy artwork for private use in the US, I feel sorry for you.

It is indeed true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
guzerat wrote:

It is indeed true.

Actually the law is mostly to do with the deleterious effects of the intense heat & light from a photocopier on oil paintings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.