Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gallagher
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you apply a Stuka to an attack where the defender has a combined defense factors in two (or more) hexs? The attacking stack is in one hex.
I have always played this and believe it shown somewhere but can not find it now.

Mike G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristobal Sánchez Guirao
Spain
flag msg tools
I was never in that case, but I think that it is right.
So if i thnk it deeply, probably must be half of the effect (1'5 colums). But I think it will be... estrange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing strange about it. Example:

One German 8-7 panzer corps attacks two Russian units it's adjacent to, let's say a 2-5 tank corps in one adjacent hex, and a 3-3 infantry corps in a second adjacent hex (i.e. the two Russian units are not stacked together, but rather are next to each other, and both next to the German unit). The rules allow a single attacking unit to attack all units it is adjacent to, so ordinarily, the odds would be 8 to (2+3), or 8 to 5, or finally, 1-1. However, if the German adds a Stuka to the attack (placing the Stuka over either Russian unit), this raises the odds to 4-1, since the Stuka provides a shift of 3 columns on the CRT in the German's favor. There you go! Simple and straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
One further note. The Stuka must be capable of reaching ALL the defender hexes with its eight hex range from its AG headquarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, as long as each attacking unit is adjacent to the the specific defening unit(s) you can have multi-hex combat.

And multi-hex stuka attacks are referenced directly (in the third edition rules) in the stuka rules section to highlight this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark polelle
United States
findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
Great points. However, I notice in an old General magazine an example of multiple Russian units surrounded by multiple German units with a single stuka attacking all of said Russian units (i.e. Russian units on 4 or 5 distinct hexes and German units surrounding all of them). Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Silver
Sweden
Umeå
Select a State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question a while ago. After a lot of searching I found out that the rule is that the attacking units need EACH be adjacent to ALL defenders. This was cleared in a General magazine Q&A by Don Greenwood specifically asking Richard Hamblen (in charge of 3rd edition development and therefore the one to ask). The original text in an earlier General stating the possibility of attacking as you stated was considered wrong (thankfully). Thus, you can attack several adjacent defenders by the same Stuka, but basically need to do so while attacking from a single hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviving this thread a lttle late maybe, but I need a clarification here.

Situation: Two soviet units are adjacent, S1 and S2. German G1 moves adjacent to both. G1 can now attach Stuka to the battle versus S1+S2.

But if also the unit G2 moves adjacent to S2 (but not S1) the situation changes, G2 must battle S2 and since no unit can be involved in two battles, the G1 unit is then limited to only attack and use stuka on S1.

The G1 and G2 are in different hexes so they cannot combine against S1 and S2.

Do I understand this correctly? It is often better to stack germans in a single hex attacking in multiple directions rather than spread out in two hexes and lose the stuka-advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Yes, that is correct.

Note, however, that S1 and S2 themselves do not have to be adjacent to one another. As long as G1 is adjacent to both and the Stuka is in range of both, the Stuka can be applied to the battle.

In the situation where G1 can only attack (is only adjacent to) S1 and G2 units could attack (are adjacent to both), either S1 or S2 the attacker must decide which G2 units are applied to which battle. If only one Stuka is available and in range of both S1 and S2, the attacker must also decide in which battle to apply the Stuka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Quote:
Thus, you can attack several adjacent defenders by the same Stuka, but basically need to do so while attacking from a single hex.

I note a small error in the responses above.

Units attacking defenders in different hexes do not have to be in a single hex. They can actually be in two hexes as long as ALL attackers are adjacent to ALL defenders -- on both sides of defenders.

Of course, if the defenders were in more than two hexes, than attackers could only be in a single hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, of course. I think I get it now.
Then the position could look like this and both G combined would be attacking both S combined with one stuka-strike.

---G
--S-S
---G

But with a setup like this (as my previous example):

---G1-G2
--S1-S2

the G1 is only able to apply Stuka towards S1, since G2 and S2 must be a separate battle.
In some situations it can be better to NOT have the G2 unit:

---G1
--S1-S2

Because it allows the stuka to bear on both S-units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm about to have my first game of TRC in 35 years , and this Stuka rule did befuddle me when I came across it yesterday until I read your posts.

Thanks all for clarifying (7 years afterwards notwithstanding!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Schoose
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall one game that I played in which I (the German) had a stack of units in Bryansk. During the February '42 turn, the Russian attacked me from 5 of the 6 surrounding hexes and rolled either a C or a DR on second impulse. The March weather roll was Clear. Forced to counter-attack, I used a Stuka to assist my surrounded troops and my 1-2 attack became a 3-1 attack. The resulting '6' on the die for that attack left my opponent stunned as something like 8 of his pieces were removed from the board! One needs to respect the power of those Stukas! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BLSchoose wrote:
I recall one game that I played in which I (the German) had a stack of units in Bryansk. During the February '42 turn, the Russian attacked me from 5 of the 6 surrounding hexes and rolled either a C or a DR on second impulse. The March weather roll was Clear. Forced to counter-attack, I used a Stuka to assist my surrounded troops and my 1-2 attack became a 3-1 attack. The resulting '6' on the die for that attack left my opponent stunned as something like 8 of his pieces were removed from the board! One needs to respect the power of those Stukas! cool

Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Made me smile.

P.S. Can I borrow that dice you threw the 6 on?! (Red Army desperately needs it as we speak at Moscow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.