Subject: No player interaction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bertelsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi,

New in here...

Just got T&T and played a 2 player game last night. It seems like a fun game but one thing is bothering me ALOT. It felt like I was playing myself. I just focused 100% on my own game and didnt really bother what my opponent was doing, and she felt the same way around.
Isnt there any way to mess up your opponents strategy somehow? I guess you can remember what cards he/she holds and try to clear the 6 citycards on the board if you think he's badly in need on one of those cards.

How do you guys do it? Or are you also just playing your own game not paying much attention to the opponent?

Best Regards
anarchoi
Denmark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ways to interfere are:

- Pick up cards your opponent wants. I would never do this intentionally unless it helped me as well.

- Flush all cards. Same as above.

- Win a bonus chit before they do, giving me, for example, the 3 and them the 2 instead of the other way around. This is a 2-point swing.

The other thing to point out is that the game IS a race. If you were to play alone, you might take it slower and gain more points. With the threat of your opponent ending the game (which you can see happening), you have to pace yourself so you don't get stuck with all the negative points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main type of interaction in T&T is to grab scoring markers before your opponents so you get the most points. You may, for example, end a route sooner than you would normally plan so you can grab that region's highest scoring chip.

In a two player game this interaction is fairly limited. This is because there's really only a one point difference if you score a region second rather than first. In a 3-4 player game you could be down by 2 points if you score late, or you may not be able to score a region at all. One way to address this (I forget who suggested this idea, but it was posted in these forums somewhere) is to remove the second scoring chip for every region and route bonus, making it more critical to score early. I've tried it and I think it works fairly well.

You do need to keep an eye on your opponent, though. Watch the route they're building, especially if you're working on the same cities. Keep an eye on their houses and carriages to see how close they are to ending the game compared to you. Try and have a general idea of how many points they have so you can determine if ending the game quickly is in your best interest.

It's never going to be a game with direct interaction, though, so if that's what you're looking for it may not be the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
- Win a bonus chit before they do, giving me, for example, the 3 and them the 2 instead of the other way around. This is a 2-point swing.

A 2-point swing in this game can be significant (not that you said it isn't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
ekted wrote:

A 2-point swing in this game can be significant (not that you said it isn't).

Yes, big. That's why I mentioned it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
The mechanism for interaction that many people miss in this game as in others, (and so wins me a lot of games!) is the ability to end the game early. Never forget, you're not out to get as many points as possible. You just want to be ahead when it all ends.
The most effective way of doing that in T&T is to be ahead on carriages. Of course, you need to get rid of post offices and score some points as well, but who is in the lead on these tends to go back and forth quite a lot. If you can place that last carriage, you can end the game when the pendulum is over to your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
The only ways to interfere are:

- Pick up cards your opponent wants. I would never do this intentionally unless it helped me as well.

Are we going to have to rename you "Gentleman Jim"?

I would always pick up cards my opponent wants unless there are cards there that I need. It would be a bonus if we both wanted them. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Are we going to have to rename you "Gentleman Jim"?

It's a choice based on tactics not politeness. It seems generally correct, but I am no expert. Melissa still kicks my ass. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.