Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watkins Glen was the setting on Friday night, when two experienced drivers (Chris and Lane) set out to teach three newcomers (Angelo, Dennis, and me) how to play this classic 3M auto racing game.

I don't know which rules are in the box, particularly since we appeared to be playing with parts that came in several different editions, but the experienced players suggested the WBC rules that include skill points and modified chance tables. Not having any reason for chosing otherwise, and having been plied with food, wine, and Full Sail Amber, there were no objections.

Blind bidding for pole position resulted in one experienced player bidding high to go first and one bidding zero to go last and see how things developed. It was a bad sign for me that the other newcomers were right in line with the veterans while I overbid for an expensive third position.

Lap number one was uneventful, with Chris and Lane in an established but not insurmountable lead. No one was on pace to finish with extra wear on their tires, but Dennis had taken a crafty line that used a little bit less than the rest of us. His adamant refusal to let his brother (me) get one space of draft from him was clearly motivational.

Lap two featured a real technical duel between Chris and Lane, which caused them some trouble pulling ahead of the pack. Dennis stayed hard on their heels, and Angelo had the night's first miscue in an effort to become a factor in the race. His 100 mph start speed paid off, however, and he and I remained in a battle for fourth until the last major corner of the lap, where double sixes put him into the wall and out of the race.

Lap three came with an announcement from Chris that he would not spare the skill points, having thus far been unable to pull even with Lane. I fought against my poorly chosen top speed of 140MPH and hoped to take advantage of any mistakes, but Lane and Dennis had tires to spare. Chris gamely tried to play spoiler, but his engine gave out on the same turn that finished Angelo so I coasted into an uninspiring third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to play this old game again! Thanks for the report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report....thinking of the game makes me want to play it again too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Nice report but WBC rules are a bit easy. I say this coming from a group that played Speed Circuit with nothing less then 8 cars and maxing out at 13. To this day it is my favorite game and AH had some decent ideas as did WBC, BUT. With a little thought and dedicated players this can turn into an addiction.
Our group loves the game and what we have collectively put together in the way of rules.
Basically we set car TYPE based off the original car stats. Start Speed Acceleration, Deceleration. Variations of Top and Wear make the difference, I.E. Lotus, 140 Meaning 60-40-40-140-13. We changed the rules on wear to be Tires. and when you use your LAST tire, you SPIN.So we added 1 point to the game wear stats to account for that. We do not use skill as part of car construction, instead every driver starts with 10 Skill and you get points for your accomplishments during races and use them similarly to the WBC rules. Drivers must start the race on theior qualifying tires so used tire point are reflected in your starting tire wear. So Pitting rules are basically 80 MPH on Pit road stop and restart next turn gets you freash STARTING STAT Tires. We run 4 lap races and get on anyone taking to long to plt their move. As SKill points are used they are lost, (no getting more in Car construction next race). Passing Cars during the race benefits greatly. SO starting from the pole and winning is set in stone in the way of Skill points gained, WHile starting from the rear and passing numerous cars gains you extra points based on passing 3-5-7-9.

I am currently pondering being a GM for Speed Circuit at Origins 08. WIll keep you posted on that.
Best Regards to all, Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.