Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim McCarthy
United States
Rohnert Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just printed up the event cards, but can find no rules to go with. Does anyone have...can you forward?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking the same thing. Seems like these could be a good addition to the game if properly integrated.

I'm working up a wikipedia entry for this game to help gather references. Look there and go to grognard.com for some great downloads for WAP.

I'm planning to put together an unofficial edition of the rules that incorporate all known errata. I still need a copy of the 2nd edition rules though so, we'll see.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules For Event Card Variant
I believe these cards are a bogus, unofficial, third party submission for War and Peace.

Two distinct, independent, sources have stated this issue does not contain any article on War and Peace. One of these is the General Index which does not show any article on Variant Cards. I can find nothing, other than the boardgamegeek listing for General 20-2, that states these were ever made. I believe that listing is incorrect as well. Once I have more evidence I intend to correct that listing.

While it is fine, and admirable, for gamers to create their own variants. To pass them off as "official" when they are unofficial is not the appropriate way to promote them.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCarthy
United States
Rohnert Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Bad enough to leave it incomplete, but if it's your own work, say so. Don't understand the thought process on that at all. Thanks for putting it to rest John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JokerRulez wrote:
While it is fine, and admirable, for gamers to create their own variants. To pass them off as "official" when they are unofficial is not the appropriate way to promote them.

--JokerRulez

Just so I am clear, the individual who posted these variant cards did not claim they were official. He stated these variant cards had been "suggested" by the game designer.

Another posting stated these variants can be found in General Vol. 20 Issue 2. I do not believe this statement to be correct, and have 2 independent sources to confirm this.

I think it is admirable for a player or a designer apprentice to make variants for games, and I encourage people to do so. Furthermore, if anyone should wish to undertake the effort to create rules for these variants I am sure people here would be willing to playtest them.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just contacted by a seller on eBay who stated the article is present in this issue of General. That may mean several other listings I have found are incorrect including a wonderful General Article Index available for free download.

I am purchasing this issue (General Vol. 20, Issue 2) from eBay to settle this once and for all, and I will scan and post the relevant article.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

I finally have an answer. All has been cleared up. Thank you to Red for pointing to the correct General Magazine issue this appeared in. I just received a copy in the mail and everything is explained.

General Volume 20 Issue 2 is where this was published. This variant is official. This issue has Titan on the cover. The Table of Contents does not list this article! That explains the confusion. I had found a great excel file, online, that is an index of General Magazine articles. I now know it is a great resource for articles that were listed in the contents, but it does overlook some articles such as this one. Nuts not to list all articles in the contents but, what can you do?

I will post a scan of this article once I get my new 4in1 setup and ready to scan. Until then, let me summarize things here.

The article appears on page 28 and 29. Most of the article is taken up with the cards. Cards are listed as text only so it is quite reasonable to put together what you see listed as a file for download here at BoardGameGeek. Very nice of the poster to take the time to share these with us. I have not verified the accuracy of the cards in that file (here on BGG).

The essence of the variant rule is as follows:
1. These are for the Campaign Game
2. X.G.2 should be ignored. "Do not roll for the occurrence of foreign wars; the cards take care of these and other offboard events."
3. "Each turn, during the Alliance phase, a die is rolled. If the die roll is a '1', the French player, or a member of his alliance, may choose a card. If the die roll is a '2', one of the anti-French players chooses a card. On a die roll of '3', a neutral player picks from the deck. A result of '4', '5' or '6' means that no card is drawn that turn."
4. "When a card is drawn, a player:
(1). Must play the card if the event is unfavorable....
(2). May play the card if it is favorable...or...play it later
(3). Discard the card, face down, at the bottom..."
"A neutral player may play, save or discard any card which benefits his {or her} country exclusively. .... Any other card must be played when drawn."
"Cards may only be played during the Alliance phase and all results are immediate. Only one card may be played during an Alliance phase, and only by the alliance whose turn it is to draw a card, as determined by the dir roll above. A player can hold no more than one card in his hand and can play a card instead of choosing one from the deck..."

That summarizes the rules for this variant but leaves out some nuance. Look to the new file posting once I have done this.

Glad to have finally cleared up this question. Thanks go out to the original poster of the file, and to Red for the info on the relevant General Magazine. Sorry to have doubted you!

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the file has been posted to BoardGameGeek, in the Files section of War and Peace.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/39959

Happy to have cleared this up, and looking forward to trying out this variant.

Enjoy!

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.