Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bussick
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.
mbmbmbmbmb
What does this rule mean to you, regarding "raking in the profits"...?

Quote:
If there is only one sailor on a ship, who is the captain (or maybe no sailors at all), the shipowner is given back the sailors' wages.

I read it as if you only get 1 die placed on your ship, you get all of the wages back.

If the apostrophe was placed differently and made sailor's instead of sailors', then I'd say that the shipowner only gets the "wheel" money back.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same question.

No idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have just been introduced to this game after having it languishing (in shrink!) for many years.

We too read it as that the ship owner gets all the wages back - it stops a ship being deliberately targeted with only one die.

However that means that the sailor that is on-board gets no salary and that seems a tad unlikely as well as unfair.

We play that any unoccupied sailor space has the money returned to the ship owner. As in real life, you pay no salary if no one is doing the job.

But maybe we are missing one of the subtleties of some hidden strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game today and played 2 games as is described above. I really wish we could get an official ruling on this. As it does seem unfair to not get paid for being a captain of a lone ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the english rules in the file download section, and I see this:

Quote:
Collection of wages

At the end of a round the wages are collected. Each player receives his three crew (=dice) back and the pertinent ducats.

If there is only one sailor as a captain (or also none), the shipowners receive the starting investment and the wages back.

This says to me that first all players take their dice and the earned wages that correspond.

Then after that, the second sentence takes place, how to handle the situations where there is still money sitting on the board from where positions were left empty. The answer being the shipowner takes it back.

Do the official rules have this sort of visual hierarchy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.