1 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Who Am I Now?
United States
flag msg tools
After posting several comments here, grousing about the lack of gaming opportunities in SE Minnesota, I was contacted by starscream, who was part of a small group who met several times a year in Rochester (and from time to time in the Twin Cities). I was happy to attend the first session of the season on 11/6. As eight or nine were in attendance, we had two game groups going.

First choice was Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers or Betrayal at House on the Hill. As I'd been thinking about adding it to my collection, I joined a 4 player game of "Betrayal" - my first time - with Steve, Don, and a young lady whose name I can't remember (sorry). I think everyone else had played this before.

I selected Father Rhinehardt, and ventured forth with Ox, Missy and Heather. We explored the ground floor, uncovering a few omens. It quickly became apparent the house had a will of its own, because several of us ended up (involuntarily) in the basement, via slide, collapsed rooms, etc. A bad die roll ended up beginning the haunt pretty early (at least it seemed pretty early), and Heather was traitor. She had some demons she wanted us to meet. Ox rushed to attack the hellspawn. We managed to get the Ring from the traitor, and Missy ran after Ox. Unfortunately, Father Rhinehardt suffered a "Bite" which had him seeking health in the gymnasium. Ox had some early successs against the demons, but Missy fell in battle. Ox was soon in danger of being overrun by the enemy, when Father Rhinehardt finally made an appearance. Against pretty bad odds, he stunned a demon. That was the end of his luck with the dice, however. Two more horrendous rolls and he joined Missy in the afterlife. Ox hung in there and went toe-to-toe with the Demon Lord, and managed to stun it, but could not finish the deal. Traitor wins. I probably played more than my part in our defeat, as I wasn't particularly certain what to do, and my die-rolling in general was terrible.

While the game was by no means bad or unenjoyable, I'm glad I had a chance to play it before buying, because I've decided not to purchase. All the comments on BGG about the typos, counters, value, etc., are true, notwithstanding the defense offered by fans of the game. We were forced to check the FAQ on BGG for guidance related to the specific scenario, and like everyone else who has played the game, we had to deal with misprints and counter searching. I'm convinced there is probably a clever game in there, but it's fairly obscured by poor execution.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.