Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Wings of War: Miniatures» Forums » Sessions

Subject: An Annotated Three Player Session -- Me, My Daughter, My Son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent session report, really fine. im sorry for not having geeks, cause in this case I will give you some of them. Really nice stuff, well written. I enjoyed it a lot Sagrilarus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Strong
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You ever need a wingman you just give me a call. My 11 year old can take your 11 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An Annotated Three Player Session -- Me, My Daughter, My
How did you do this - I mean, technically? Different fonts, colours, and so on ...? I sometimes asked myself how to put some more sophisticatedly formatted text in here and didn`t get the clue ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: An Annotated Three Player Session -- Me, My Daughter, My
    I'm surprised this game isn't recommended more as a Gateway game, as the miniatures make it quite the piece of eye candy and the rules are very simple. In a lot of ways I think this would be a better first choice than Ticket to Ride, due to its extremely low entry barrier.

The only trouble spot I had playing with my seven-year-old was that he had a bit of difficulty keeping his plane in place while he put the next movement card down in front of it. This was more due to a lack of mental focus than physical coordination, and the instant our planes came close enough for him to understand the issue he quickly came into trim.

I have twin five-year-olds, and I think each could execute the rules (although not in a tactical way) given their current maturity. Alas I can't test this easily as there are two of them. Likely this level of play would be sufficient for their enjoyment, and would mean that this game reaches farther down the age scale than either TtR or Carc. With a price tag per plane of $8-$12, they're not much more expensive than the kids' plastic Pokemon toys, and they're pretty tough, so the risk to the game itself would not be expensive enough to keep five-year-olds away from them.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we actually decided to put Ellwood's Camel (not from one of the most famous aces) because with its hearts could attract female players. Actually, Barker's Camel has also a little hearth with a arrow on its tail, so the two flyboys actually were a sot of Herats Squadron...

Sorry no ponies at all... You don't know how much we regret not having choosen a SPAD XIII for Baracca with his famous little horse (the one that his mother afterwards gave as a gift to Enzo Ferrari for his car team). Actually all Italian SPAD XIII looks the same from above, except for Baracca's yellow one with no horse on the side: so we choosed that to have something different from Ruffo, thinking that anyway you could not see the horse from above. Miniatures were far beyound imagination, back in 2002 when we designed the originat two boxes.

But among the Series 3 miniatures there will be a very nice Russian Nieuport 23 by Klibanov with a horse head on the sides. Not a pony, actually.... But I hope that the young lady will appreciate the effort anyway.

For WWII we have a pink Spitfire:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/223658
Or this Bf.109 in leopard fur:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/268584

The Mickey Mouse on Galland's plane will be appreciated only on the scale model, after the summer - it can not be seen on the card.

Congratulations for the great report!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Wanna play?
badge
mb
Brilliant! I can't wait to play this with my son... might have to teach him to talk first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is not needed. Actually you are supposed not to talk with your team and you can just show the icon of special damages to "tell" that you got them, when they are visible as smoke, fire and such.

I have some more problem with my daughter since I have to teach her how to grab well, first. She is 5 (months) and she keep on showing around the cards in her hand, and that's not nice in a hidden plotted movement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing report, Sagrilarius!
As all the geekfathers out there I'm waiting for my 3 and 1/2 daughter growing a little.....
You have two smart sons!!!
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishing I had some to give you, but this post deserves ALL of the — well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful post! I'm surprised I hadn't seen it earlier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that on BGG the same game can be divided into many pages, one for each product and somtime even one for each edition, hads the disvantage that many great posts are buried in the older pages and lost by thoe followers of the most recent ones. I think that this is the case.
Besides, for a strange bug in classification Wings of War Airplane Packs are considered accessories (while Wings of Glory's, X-Wing's, Sails of Glory's ones are games) so they are even harder to find in searches....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Rugerfred Sedda
Italy
San Giorgio di Mantova
Mantova
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This post was beautiful, heart-warming and made me laugh a lot.
Great report, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.