Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: since attacks are made in any order, does that mean ranged attacks are also considered simultaneous? I think the answer is yes, but wanted to be sure.

I had bowmen shooting at an elephant just inside some woods. My knights had charged right to the elephant's rear. The bowmen killed the elephant, but we figured it still got a kick in at the knights with which it was now engaged.

Thanks! We had an awesome game with Men allied with Lizards to fend off a frenetic assault of crazed tribesmen! Killing two elephants is hard work, but it was worth every minute. All that finally remained was a block of nearly wasted knights and four bowmen who looked too intimidating to the high priests and their berserker goons. The Umenzi ran away (gave up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ranged fire simulatneous?
Malacandra wrote:
Just to clarify: since attacks are made in any order, does that mean ranged attacks are also considered simultaneous? I think the answer is yes, but wanted to be sure.

I had bowmen shooting at an elephant just inside some woods. My knights had charged right to the elephant's rear. The bowmen killed the elephant, but we figured it still got a kick in at the knights with which it was now engaged.

You're correct. The only difference (in terms of timing) between HtH and missile combat is that your ranged units only fire on your turn.

There are also a few units (Centaurs, Umenzi Javelineers) that can get an extra ranged attack the turn they charge (or are charged). This attack does happen before regular combat, so if it kills an enemy unit that unit won't attack. (Similarly, if it puts the enemy unit into the yellow or into the red the appropriate combat penalty will apply, although any rout checks will wait for the post-combat courage phase.)

Quote:
Thanks! We had an awesome game with Men allied with Lizards to fend off a frenetic assault of crazed tribesmen! Killing two elephants is hard work, but it was worth every minute. All that finally remained was a block of nearly wasted knights and four bowmen who looked too intimidating to the high priests and their berserker goons. The Umenzi ran away (gave up).

Cool! Sounds like a fun battle...how many points was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Cool! Sounds like a fun battle...how many points was it?

3000 points. The Umenzi were a coordinated unit. We were "allies" with the Lizards on the left and the knights heading right. The archers moved up to just outside the forest (largest forest terrain piece in the middle of the board) and just kept firing at things.

The three Ancients did a lot to hold the line on the left. The elephants came pretty much through the center. One came on our left and went head to head with a set of Ancients who later got pinched on both flanks. But they did cause the elephant to rout. My two knights totally cleaned up on our right and held the line and destroyed a bunch of spearmen and atlatlmen. Once finished with those guys, the knights headed for the two remaining elephants. One elephant was in the forest and the other was on their side of the trees. The elephant and the knights there died together (a brave charge by knights down to their second-last red hit).

The delaying action by the Ancients was long enough to keep the bowmen raining arrows down on the left flank units. He ended up with one berserker unit and a set of high priests. They would have headed toward my phalanxe of four bowmen (who had not been touched the whole battle). But with one group of knights still in the woulds, they would have been intercepted. (Imagine those knights crashing out of the trees!)

When we first started, I felt like were were having trouble dividing out 3000 points well and I thought our line looked pretty weak. But we held up and were able to fold them on their left. It was one of those games where, when you were finished, you were exhausted but you felt like you really accomplished something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Another salient aspect of this situation is that because all targets are determined before any combat is resolved, the bowmen would NOT get to change targets if the Knights had rolled first and killed the elephant with their swing. They basically lose their attack for the turn because their target is already dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.