Subject: 2 Newbies, my Daughter and the Old Man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my 4th game of the basic AH game today. I had two newbies, my nephews Chad and Daniel (in their 20s), who have played Talisman many times, my daughter Phaedra (age 12) and myself (40 something).

I wanted something better than a plastic bowl to put the monsters in so Phaedra made "The Box":

I used all the ideas from the thread about book keeping hints. Also, standing the monsters up in plastic stands (softened with hot water) and only having as many stands available as the monster limits.

I also took a lot of advice from the thread about making the game accessible to newbies. Unfortunately the game didn't finish by the time the guys had to leave but they enjoyed it a fair deal.

Spooky music was playing (well, 3 disks of Tangerine Dream music in the player) but the game took on a humorous cast as we played, with lots of jokes evolving in-game.

We found our selves up against Ithaqua, the wind walker, and boy does he change the game a bit. Everyone was anxious to keep off the streets. I had Harvey Walters and got a real feel for being the old man. He can only move 3 at best and so I kept trying to shuffle into locations on the way to places.

Early in the game Harvey tried to lecture everyone at the University Admin Building about the threat to Arkham but was dragged off to the asylum yelling "You fools! You FOOOOLS!". He got beaten up there but made it onto the street only to suffer the cold of the Ithaqua's winds and lose a stamina. He went to the Square where he had to beat off gypsies with his walking stick and was then hustled to the street by a burly copper. He went to the police office to complain, where they tried to hassle him. Back to the Admin building where he tried again to warn everyone and promptly found himself dragged back to the asylum where what he saw in the cells nearly DID send him mad. He went to the newspaper to alert town but found clues encoded in the articles. At this point he rushed to the street to give Amanda his possessions before being whisked away to hospital by the horrifying cold.

The other three were busy competing to become deputy. Chad and Daniel both ended up with motor bikes and cruised around taking out monsters and closed a gate each. Phaedra had Amanda slaying fiends with her Sword of Glory, for some reason facing one enhanced cultist after another and bopping them on the head readily after her blessing. At one point they were all racing for the Police Station, batting away hordes of flying things. Chad got there first so the gangster became deputy.

We had nailed 5 gates, sealing four of them, the terror level had only made it to 2, although we had placed 9 of the 11 doom markers on the card. It would have been a close run thing if we had played on. Everyone left feeling like it had been a good game and looking forward to the next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHugh
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up and cool monster box.goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.