Popular Tags: [View All]
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we had a house full last night, well seven actually, so we had to stock up on some 7+ player games to accommodate, what a chore Diamant was one of them. We had 5 gamers and 2 newbies and I hoped this little mining game would be a good start to the evening..

"Carts, explorers, gems and diamonds, cool!"

We started with a quick over view and cracked on with a game. The first couple of mines went quickly. No one fully appreciated the push your luck factor at this point and were just happy to get some gems into their carts. But this was small beer, so certain players became more adventurous.

The next mine saw most players run at the sight of a few danger cards, but a couple of players decided to stick it out. The rewards started to stack up and the fleeing players looked on with envy as gems were trading in for diamonds as their hordes stacked up. But the pressure was too much for one and they fled with a nice stash.

"Should I stay or should I go now?"

The remaining player, my wife, stuck it out and walked out of the mine a turn or two later with a handful of treasure and a broad grin. This is when the game clicked into place with everyone.

The remainder of the game saw more players pushing their luck, but no one caught up with my wife after her major haul mid game, so the Victory was hers. So there was only one thing for it. Instant replay!

"Here's a card for the cowards!"

The second game started where the first game left off. The nice thing about playing with many players is that there are always lots of gems being left in the mine to tempt people to flee. So even though everyone became braver, the rewards led to players timing their exits for the most profit. It was great to see everyone having a good time with the reveal stage.

My wife took the bold approach again, but this time she fell foul of the danger cards twice, this showed everyone the pitfalls of being too greedy and the last couple of mines were played out with much merriment.

A great start to what turned out to be a good night and a perfect introduction for the newcomers..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.