Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ripley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this for the past few days and what I would like to see is the introduction of a short geekmodding training course followed by an exam at the end.

It would be useful to educate some people over what they need to do during geekmodding and help introduce new modders to the system. The course could introduce images and explain how to mod them and what the result should be. A description on the etiquette of fill-in box for all types of modding could be done as well.

At the end there is a test that must be passed to become a geekmodder with a series of images to decide on. One or two could involve checking through games with large numbers of existing images.

As a benefit anyone caught employing below par modding ability could be sentenced to retaking their test.

All a bit fanciful I know but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's a lot of complaints about the people who do geekmodding at times on here, but it does seem to go a bit far sometimes. I don't see anywhere on here a "review / session reporting test" (and you can easily make more GG by submitting a bunch of mediocre reviews and uninteresting session reports which say nothing more than the ones already present than you can through geekmodding), or a "geeklist making test" or a "tagging / categorisation test".

Yes, there are people who geekmod wrong occasionally. Yes, some images in the latest image categorisation got dropped in the wrong sections. Yes, your image might be rejected when you think it shouldn't. But that's why the submit correction functionality and ability to resubmit a picture are there.

It seems to me like it's just a case of the minority of results (i.e. the problems people disagree with) get the majority of discussion (just as is expected in any system), whereas the geekmod system itself (which, let's not forget, does rely on agreement from multiple modders before it makes its resolution) probably works fine for 95+% of submissions. And in a publically moderated system, I think that's quite admirable and should be appreciated a bit more than it is, instead of the repeated generalised complaints and suggestions to make the site more user unfriendly and dictatorial than it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane B
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the anonymity of the modders makes it easy for everyone else to complain about them and the modding system. I made it a point to purchase a Geekmodder badge, and resolved to always display it below my Avatar (I see that you also have one, although undisplayed). That makes me approachable, and I welcome any questions. Even if I did not mod an image, I am happy to help a user understand why their photo was not accepted. I am happy also to help that user make that image (or future images) better, and I am just as happy to tell that user he or she got bombed by a revolving cast of gold-hungry newbies and that they should simply resubmit.

There have been many discussions about how to "fix" the modding system, but I am hard-pressed to think of a single good suggestion made. As I've written in other posts, I think the lack of really good suggestions comes from the overall failure to identify a genuine problem.

People also complain about the sheer number of useless GeekLists. But since those are not modded, everything is okay. It's just a few disgruntled fogies.

Image-modding and -modders receive a lot of complaints, mostly of the why'd my awesome piccy get declined variety, and most of those (in my experience) come from new users. The few people who post with a link to their image usually receive support not of the image but of the modders' decision. Since you are a fellow Geekmodder, I ask you: is there really a problem, or do the complaints create the illusion of one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ripley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have written here is from my viewpoint as a modder rather than as an image submitter and it is mainly concerned with what I would refer to as the technical rather than subjective criteria. By technical criteria I am referring to reasons for rejection like 'wrong category' or 'wrong game' rather than more subjective ones like 'blurry' or the dreaded 'irrelevant'. There has been more than one instance where an image that has been submitted should be rejected due to a technicality like 'wrong game' but isaccepted anyway. Now if I can work out that an image is for the wrong game when I don't even own it then I don't see why other people cannot.

Now my suggestion is meant as a way of educating users in geekmodding as much as anything else. When someone starts geekmodding they are thrown into the deep end with just some written guidelines. At the least a quick tutorial would be nice to demonstrate what you should be looking for.

I will admit that this has been a way to blow off a bit of steam. If I see that an image has ended up in the wrong game or category then I will go and submit a correction (it's a compulsion, I can't help myself). It gets a bit irritating that I spend time doing this when I shouldn't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane B
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see now.

I too have declined images for being submitted to the wrong game. It happens very infrequently, at least in my experience.

Not sure a test would solve that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a test is a bit overkill and way out of character for the site. I think a better solution might be to write up detailed guidance to the wiki and ask for a link to that from the initial landing page for GeekMod that says something like this: "New to GeekMod? Check here for instructions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester wrote:
I think a test is a bit overkill and way out of character for the site. I think a better solution might be to write up detailed guidance to the wiki and ask for a link to that from the initial landing page for GeekMod that says something like this: "New to GeekMod? Check here for instructions."

I agree, and think that a few examples would be even more useful, particularly of images which would be debatable, giving the preferred answer and the reasons. I think most people would find this useful and would learn from it quickly and easily. It could even appear automatically the first time people geekmod.

Eddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
Jester wrote:

I agree, and think that a few examples would be even more useful, particularly of images which would be debatable, giving the preferred answer and the reasons. I think most people would find this useful and would learn from it quickly and easily. It could even appear automatically the first time people geekmod.

Eddy

Even better, there could be a link for the geekmodder from the mod page, and a link FROM THE ORIGINAL IMAGE SUBMISSION PAGE... to hopefully eliminate some of the questionable images before they are even submitted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Zoo is a good example:http://galaxyzoo.org/

It's a website that allows the public to assist in categorizing galaxies. There is a short tutorial and quiz that you must complete before you are allowed to take part. It's not that painful and I don't think it would be SO ATROCIOUS as to ask the same thing of potential modders here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What could really - easily - help is if the Geekmod Histpry would show the rejection reason(s) for an image (or post) I approved, but was ultimately declined. This would be valuable feedback to help me improve as a modder.

See also http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2069839#2069839
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.