Subject: Development cards gone wild rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sarasio Meyer
United States
Forest City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No Really. Do. or Do not. There is no Try.
badge
Nothing here there is. Look elsewhere you must.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished with one of the oddest games of settlers I have played. It was a three player game and I knew it was going to be odd from the set up.

Board layout: Everyone knows that early in the game you need to have wood and brick. In this game the brick was under the numbers 2, 10, and 11. The wood had a couple of bad numbers too, but a worse problem was that the two forest tiles with alright numbers were buried behind the desert. This was coupled with the fact that Ore, Sheep and Wheat were all on good numbers. Ore had 6,8, and 5. Sheep had 8, 5, 9, and 4. Wheat had 6, 10, 3, and 4. The combination created an unusual experience.

Due to a lack of wood and brick and an abundance of ore, wheat, and sheep, the development cards became a huge part of the game. I have played settlers many many times. I have seen and tried lots of different strategies including one that involves lots of development cards. This game was different because all three people playing got lots of development cards. At the end of the game, all but four of the development cards were out.

The game was very slow starting. A lot of development cards went out early and the first four roads were built with road building cards. Monopoly and soldiers stole a lot of cards.

Kristine won the game (ten points) with four development victory points, four soldiers (not enough to control the largest army) and eleven development cards total, including road building, monopoly, and year of plenty. Kristine had the longest road (seven lengths for two points). Three settlements and one city.

Shandra came in last (7 points) with five development cards, all soldiers. This allowed her two points for the largest army. Shandra expanded the most. She only had five settlements with no cities, but she had a lot of roads, they just didn't connect well enough to hold the longest road, she had it first with five roads, but the lost it at six and never got it back.

I came in second place (9 points) with five development cards. I had three soldiers, one victory point and a road building card. I built the most, but in the end just didn't get enough development cards to win either the road building or the largest army bonus card. I had two cities and four more settlements, along with 9 road segments built (however, my longest was six lengths). This proved very bad for me, because the thief kept hitting my property as I appeared to be in the lead for much of the game.

It was very interesting to see settlers played in this way with all three of use trying the same solution to overcome the production that was happening with the board. This is one thing I love about settlers. I have played this game dozens of times, and yet just today I saw a game like none i have had before.
Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have once ever seen all dev cards sell out. It was similar to your game, where brick and lumber were both nearly impossible to get. And like your game, it was lots of fun because it felt so "different" from ordinary Settlers games! I wouldn't like to play games like that every time, but once in a while it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how it is you all had so few Cities when Ore and Grain were bountiful. By comparison, with the lack of Timber and Brick two of you still managed enough Roads and Settlements to build as many Settlements as Cities. The other player built enough for three more Settlements and no Cities!

A good lesson from poker is always do what the rest of the table doesn't. If everyone else is buying Development cards like mad, I'd try something different. With such a board, I'd try to build up Cities to collect more resources for bank-trades to get Timber and Brick. Chances are, I'd still get to expand before anyone can block me in and remain ahead of production for the long haul. Or I may have even tried for a good port near the desert-blocked forests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sarasio Meyer
United States
Forest City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No Really. Do. or Do not. There is no Try.
badge
Nothing here there is. Look elsewhere you must.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great point and a good strategy. Many of the roads were built with development cards and there was a lot of sheep traded in for the wood and brick that was needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.